csb6772

Gold bearing Rock identification

11 posts in this topic

Any help here would be great. I live in Sacramento, CA. not far from the Mother Load.

There is loads of good data available via the web. All I did was enter

"Gold bearing Rock identification" in Google and got quite a number of good sites

to review:

http://www.geologynet.com/gpros.htm

http://geology.about.com/library/bl/images/blmineralindex.htm

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/gold_specimen/Gold_ores.htm

There are many, many more links that you could read through. FWIW, if I

have learned one thing in life it is that research pays off...

Read, study, then go out in the field and practice what you've learned; then go back

and study some more. Basically, if someone just tells me the answer to a question

I have learned only the information I specifically asked about. If I go dig out the

answer myself, I get the benefit of all that other information that gets read through

while searching for the answer to the original question.

Mike

Basically gold will be found in/near it's quartz matrix..the country rock enclosing the quartz may be slate,schist,greenstone,porphry,granodiorite and others depending where your at.Get the mines and minerals report for your county of interest and a very good starter book is Handbook for prospectors by Pearl/or older editions by VonBernewitz which can be bought on the internet in varying prices or loaned/looked at in local libraies.The state library in Sacramento has everything.Field work is your biggest teacher.I'm in Calaveras County just down from you in the motherlode.

Basically gold will be found in/near it's quartz matrix..the country rock enclosing the quartz may be slate,schist,greenstone,porphry,granodiorite and others depending where your at.Get the mines and minerals report for your county of interest and a very good starter book is Handbook for prospectors by Pearl/or older editions by VonBernewitz which can be bought on the internet in varying prices or loaned/looked at in local libraies.The state library in Sacramento has everything.Field work is your biggest teacher.I'm in Calaveras County just down from you in the motherlode.

Thank you,

Chris

If I were to suggest one book to start with it is Fist Full of Gold by our very own Chris Ralf. Check to see if Bill sells them..

If I were to suggest one book to start with it is Fist Full of Gold by our very own Chris Ralf. Check to see if Bill sells them..

Hi Steve,

I don't sell books much anymore for the most part or I would indeed have it. The book business was a pain with today's shipping costs...

I'll second that. :wubu:

No offense to Chris... even though I've read the entire book, every morning when I go to the crapper I take his book and pour through things that specifically apply to my operation. I continually pick up pieces of wisdom here and there that eventually sink in and can be applied out in the field. I also suggest a subscription to the Prospecting and Mining Journal. There is a wealth of information to be had from there too.

I'll second that. :wubu:

... every morning when I go to the crapper I take his book and pour through things that specifically apply to my operation.

Is there a section in that book on those types of operations?

I can also add my recommendation for the book Fists Full of Gold.

I also keep mine in the throne room and find something new every time I pick it up.

Paul