Bill Southern

The Deus, first impressions

21 posts in this topic

Well got in a couple XP Deus this afternoon and after charging everything up I put it together and sat down to read the manual. So far this is a pretty cool and very lightweight detector and I like that! Actually I should say it is insanely light....

Also pretty cool that you can get updates for the Deus through a USB hookup to your PC, something other manufactures have not done as far as I know.

I really can't say a whole lot more right now until I actually get out to hunt for a few hours, but I did fire it up for a few minutes and am pretty excited to get out after work tomorrow.

More to come.

Had to work late, but did get out in my yard today for about 40 minutes and though no great finds did get a button and wheatie along with one zinc penny and other assorted non iron trash.

I hunted in a factory preset called "Basic 2" which is #9 and I plan to learn each of these 9 settings before even tackling the "Expert" menu...

Not having a threshold is a pure joy and there was very little falsing if any in this setting.

I have much to learn, but it is laid out pretty well in the manual even for someone fairly new to detecting.

So far no bad points.

Have not tried the headphones (which can control detector without display panel/control) yet and was using the internal speaker in the remote control.

More to come....

2012-04-03_17-40-46_575.jpg

Sounds like it might be a keeper. a wheatie out of your yard is good. I went to a hard hit park today and came home with $2.20 clad and my buddy got $1.50 plus a silver serenity prayer token slightly larger than a quarter.

That is true Jerry because I have tested dozens of beepers on my property over the years, but it keeps giving up targets (is 5 acres though) I will be curious to hear how you like the XP Deus, I am thinking you will have it today...

Bill I got my Deus today. I have it on the charger and will try to get out tomorrow. Very windy here today and difficult to detect. Thanks for the good service. Jerry

You are welcome Jerry and have fun with your new beeper.... It has an uncanny way about it for hunting in very trashy areas...

Hey Bill,

Is this the same Deus you have?

At the bottom of this web page it says 2009. Kinda has me wondering if yours is different or has more features. Just curious.

http://www.reviewdetector.ru/review/deus-eng.html

Rim

Rimshot this looks the same but the little charger is an accessory. It does not show the other charger and USB adapter. I got mine out for the first time yesterday at a little park but forgot that kids are on spring break. I quit after an hour because everyone wanted to know what I was doing. I got a cheap piece of jewelry and ring and less than a dollar before I quit. I like the machine a lot however will have to get to know it better. It has a good pinpoint set up numerical identification. Got to learn my soil and the numbers better. I think I will be real happy with it in trashy soil. Jerry

Cool pondmn.

The display looks nice! I guess I read the article correctly. The display is mounted onto the shaft by a magnet?

Rim

I took the XP Deus out to LSD yesterday and ran it some before setting up the drywasher. I was very surprised at how well it handled the hot ground and after setting up in the 18 kHz frequency I beeped around a little and found a small lead pellet from a pellet gun at an inch or so deep. I guess I was a bit surprised that a coin/relic detector would be capable of this at San Domingo.

No I do not plan to try actual nugget shooting with it at this point, but do know some very trashy areas it may be worth trying to see if any of the zillions of signals among the iron trash may be a nugget.

Today I will be coin/relic hunting around Morristown as we have allot of old buildings and good places to hunt here and though nI have hunted around with several different models of detector here I think it will be a good place to see if I can manage a few good targets.

So far I have found no real negatives to report, but will if I do.

Well Bill it will be interesting to see what you turn up :arrowheadsmiley: I've already formed a few opinions just from watching the video which I will keep to myself until I get to actually test one out :tisk-tisk: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Was back out today in a real trashy park that has been hit hard. I am now the proud owner of a large collection of beer caps in addition to some clad. Moved to the four tone preset program and liked it better. In a super trashy park it gets alot of hit. This park has recycled steel belted tires chopped up for playground areas and it has spread to the lawn. Still like it just need to spend more time and hit other programs and maybe do some notching in trashy parks. Jerry

Yeah it likes bottle caps as well in the preset #9 Comes up around 94, but have learned that it will flicker back and forth ferrous/good so I can now peg them. Lot of learning to do yet, but it works well for me and is so easy to use without all the added baggage.

Pulltabs are easy to figure as well, but dig them to avoid missing good targets that are in that range.

I took the XP Deus out to LSD yesterday and ran it some before setting up the drywasher. I was very surprised at how well it handled the hot ground and after setting up in the 18 kHz frequency I beeped around a little and found a small lead pellet from a pellet gun at an inch or so deep. I guess I was a bit surprised that a coin/relic detector would be capable of this at San Domingo.

No I do not plan to try actual nugget shooting with it at this point, but do know some very trashy areas it may be worth trying to see if any of the zillions of signals among the iron trash may be a nugget.

Today I will be coin/relic hunting around Morristown as we have allot of old buildings and good places to hunt here and though nI have hunted around with several different models of detector here I think it will be a good place to see if I can manage a few good targets.

So far I have found no real negatives to report, but will if I do.

Bill,

So what did the deus tell you about the pellet? Did it give you a number ID that corresponds to gold? Just curious.

And so far no one told me if display is held on by magnet. Or maybe i mis-read the link.

Rim

It mounts into a plastic clip thingy and magnet holds it. Works well.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the # but I think it was 17 or something like that. I was more interested in it's ability to handle the soil at LSD as it is a place to test any detectors ability to deal with constantly changing hot ground as well as hot rocks. I prefer a PI for nugget shooting and the Deus would not be a detector to use for my normal type nugget recovery, but in an area with much iron trash it could prove useful.

The Deus is a coin/relic detector and so far it is doing quite well at that, but finding time to get out is proving difficult this last few weeks.

Bill after going back to the instruction manual after my last hunt and rereading it I got some new insight. I am going to change basic programs and do some simple modifications. I have been reading the findmall forum to get some additional info. Jerry

Man this post is great!! I wonder how it would do at the beach.

Well I guess that question brings up another question, Bill are the coils waterproof?

Skip

Well I guess that question brings up another question, Bill are the coils waterproof?

Skip

It has dry and wet beach presets and is fully adjustable and yes coils are waterproof.