Bill Southern

Big Heat= Little Fun

29 posts in this topic

Well is it mighty hot in Arizona these days and we have 3 months of it to look forward to here in the central deserts... Trying to get in a little coin hunting here and there, but pretty hot for that as well.

Crap I feel cabin fever coming on and it is early yet....

When I was under 55 I would get out and hunt till it was blistering hot, but now that doesn't sound like much of a way to spend the day. Can't afford the darn gas to drive to the pines every weekend sooooooo......

OK yes I am pouting in Morristown.

Well here in MT is is 53 this morning and looking like rain again, good sleeping weather, might have to dig out the detector and go to the lake and do some coin shooting. Going to be spending the 4th in the mountains again enjoying tri tip steak cannon shooting, rifle shooting and blowing up things.

enjoy

In dayz of old, when we were young and bold, untold riches kept us in the field just a huntn' and temps/conditions be damed. Now though I too do love the air conditioning and heater in the winter. Underwater makes heat bearable but not yet this year as just toooo busy as only gettn' in some detecting and due to spies can't post nuttn' anyhow--I too have the fever sooo bad I could scream--John

Yep, Toasty Here too. At 4000ft here it's still hitting 100f by noon.

Two of my Panning spots got toasted in the fire. Don't know if I want to waist the gas to go see what happened yet.

Well Bill I feel your pain :tisk-tisk:but not this week at least-I'm here in Sandiego for the week and the highs are in the mid to upper 70s perfect temps ' :thumbsupanim I'll be back to the hellish temps this weekend Mike C... :ph34r2:

Im feeling your pain also Bill...

Im starting to get the itch to go out but like you say...its pretty warm out there.

I have trouble gettting out into the fields before 7 because I work until 1 am.

Trying to detect on 4 hrs sleep is rough.

You aught to buddy up with someone and go up north. Split the gas. Or I can throw you in the back of the 4runner when Dad and I go up! :) Even then Prescott area is getting hot and humid.

Tom H.

Cabin Fever from the summertime blues ????

Yeah this is the 1st year I've had it really gettin to me. The BIG "60" this year.

Previous to this I was out bangin the ground without consideration for the temps.

The eyes especially aren't what they used to be almost stepped on a green earlier this year twice as a matter of fact. If it wasn't for the ol lady screamin at me because she saw it and I didn't

I'd a been like Unc Rons dog. No fun fer sure.

We need to invent a flexible bubble we can enclose ourselves with to maintain a comfortable temperature and still be out there in the field doin what we love to do.

I'll be 50 next month and am having the best time in my life. I get off work and get home by 1PM , just a quick change of clothes and out i go. smash rocks or gather another load and back home by 5 PM... life is good. I stopped by the bank ATM on the way home and the sign was showing 114 degrees. Perfect weather , i didn't see one person while i was out digging. AWESOME !!! bring on the heat , it makes others stay away from my activities. I LOVE IT !!!! Just wish others could feel this good about it , i wish i could share.

Some day someone will find the Prune that is left of ya out there.

garimpo likes this

Drywasher, generator and lights all packed. Going to head up at zero dark thirty and dig till its too hot. Take a nap under the shade of a ceder till afternoon, then set up the lights and generator. Dig all night. Pack up late Friday morning and head home. Well, that is the plan anyway. I am still counting the days to those cool October temps, where you can go all day long!!!

The heat certainly sucks....

Another forum member and I were out Drywashing in remote desert for 3 days straight this weekend, and not many breaks.... Thermometer read 112 around 3pm every day but I question its accuracy even though I had just bought it....

Heres a picture I took tonight during a thunderstorm down in Casa Grande.

post-1117-0-66113100-1340859659_thumb.jp

The heat certainly sucks....

Another forum member and I were out Drywashing in remote desert for 3 days straight this weekend, and not many breaks.... Thermometer read 112 around 3pm every day but I question its accuracy even though I had just bought it....

Heres a picture I took tonight during a thunderstorm down in Casa Grande.

post-1117-0-66113100-1340859659_thumb.jp

Man, I dont know how you guys do it!

Got to give it to ya.

Cool pic of the lightning.

Did you get any gold???

Tom H.

HF I liked your reply to oredigger62.....

All of you guys need to adjust your thinking a little.....

If at almost 70 I can beep at NIGHT in this jungle then most certainly you can beep the desert at night....

Just wear leg protection up to your knees and leather boots......be sure to get a GPS fix on your car

before heading out....

To day were havin 96 degree day w/89% relative humidity, so it's gonna feel like it's over 100 degrees, it's now 9:13AM, it's a 2 hr. drive at 70mph on the interstate to my seasonal trout creek where I'm findin gold. But today is a week day and gonna be HOT outside so I dought any DNR will be willin to exit their airconditioned vehicle to walk 600-800 yds. through a skeeter infested, rugged forest just to say "Hi!" and to see what I'm doin. And my creek is in a 70 ft. deep ravine, completely shaded by the forest canopy, so when I'm there, I don't really feel the heat. I just feel it when I walk out of there to my car. So I should be fine, and probably not see a soul the time I'm there.

So if you guys had some creme to put on that made you feel like it was 80 degrees outside instead of 115 degrees would you buy it? :hahaha:

Rim

You know guys when I had the fever like most of you nothing would stop me-now that I've been at it for a while with some success it does'nt matter anymore-I'm not going to cook my brains for a peice of gold-you all can have at it :nutty: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Years ago I had a Garrett ADS detector Stroke Out because it got so hot.

No the Batteries did not Spudge.

It got so hot I had to put a rag over the handle to hold and use it.

That funky Dark Green Color did not help.

Just something else you may want to think about.

Well i certainly hope i never get to the point where the heat bothers me. I am physically cold at 72 degrees , but the funny thing is that the warmer it is the more energy i have. Guess i am built for desert dwelling. If i dry up like a prune , it would be my own fault for hydration issues. At least i never have to shovel that cleveland snow ever again !!!

Amen Bro. 62 on never shoveling snow again......this town I live in is 88 years old and has NEVER had one flake of

the white stuff.....one day when El D. was here we had a sudden shower of marbel sized hail....scared us both so

bad we had to have another cold beer!!!!!

Supposed to get up to 107 today which is a record for this area. Probably hotter up here then down in AZ. Thinking about moving to Michigan where it's much cooler... :rolleyes:

Steve

AHH... the 3000' elevation here in the Motherlode is just about perfect all year long. Not to hot in Summer and not too cold in winter (but we do get snow a few times a winter)

At the digs though, it can get pretty hot (for me) getting into the mid to high 90's

Don......on my first trip down there, I remember getting back from beeping and the thermometer would be around 110+ with soaking wet humidity......those were genuinely brutal days

I went out to Pima canyon after work today to dig some rocks. It was warm today , thermometer showed 115 degrees. The humidity was up a little . Even the birds were hiding in the shade. Dug about eighty pounds of rocks and it was time to go. 5 liters of water was gone in 3 hours. I think i should start wearing one of my hats. A guy was kogging nearby and heard the sound of my rock hammer so he wandered over. 71 years old and jogging at 1PM everyday... hearty soul sure puts me to shame. I gave him my last liter bottle of water , his was almost empty. Now i am not so worried about myself turning into a prune out there as i am about others. It sure was beautiful though.

That must be some high grade ore your gettin to put up with the AZ furnace temps :nutty: Mike C... :ph34r2:

Hi Mike ,

Actually i haven't been getting anything special at all . I just love getting out and looking at rocks. I don't mind at all if i don't find anything , but always manage to find something ... and usually it is something that most of you wouldn't even pick up. Today was just a bunch of turquoise , butterscotch rocks , and some conglomerates... and a few more pics for my scrapbook. I just can't stand sitting home in the A/C ... drives me crazy.

Well is it mighty hot in Arizona these days and we have 3 months of it to look forward to here in the central deserts... Trying to get in a little coin hunting here and there, but pretty hot for that as well.

Crap I feel cabin fever coming on and it is early yet....

When I was under 55 I would get out and hunt till it was blistering hot, but now that doesn't sound like much of a way to spend the day. Can't afford the darn gas to drive to the pines every weekend sooooooo......

OK yes I am pouting in Morristown.

Hi Bill!

Man, I hear you! I like to be back to shelter by the time the sun comes up!! Well, if it makes you feel any better, it's a dry heat! Watching the news last evening, they were reporting 104 degrees back East! With their humidity, I wonder how they get enough oxygen to breathe and I suspect there will be a lot of deaths this year due to the heat back there. 104 degrees and 65% humidity has got to be really bad!

I do have a cure...

1. Go to river.

2. Jump in.

3. Float for about 300 yards, no less.

4. Swim out and walk back to where you first jumped in.

5. Jump in again and repeat.

Do this three times and life just seems to get better. Of course, you gotta have a river to do this in! And it's always better if you have three naked women doing this with you! :rolleyes:

Jim