Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buckshot

Old underground stream

11 posts in this topic

Located a previous underground stream bed (which is now underground & mostly dry) on my property where gold mining was carried on in the past, however not in this exact location. Have done some testing in one spot and have not come up with any gold yet. My question is where would the gold most likely be ? There is 3-4 ft over burden then 3+ ft of stream gravel then yellowish material and then bedrock which I haven't reached it is possibly another 3 ft or so. Since I haven't found anything yet should I continue to bedrock or try another spot, there are trees grown over the stream bed and very few spots without trees to test ? Any one with experience on this ? Located in Western NC in South Mtn. gold belt.

Well you say you haven't found anything yet, but until you hit bedrock I wouldn't necessarily write off that spot, unless you know a spot where bedrock might be a little closer to the surface, I'd keep going down.

Gold miners make the bedrock....and don't stop till ya get there....then decision time....tons a au 2 u 2-John

Thanks guys thought the answers might be what you said, just thought I would find something before reaching bedrock, plus the fact that gold is not everywhere in a stream bed but don't have the privilege of reading the stream now to see where it may have fell out.

:hahaha: LOL Adam !!!!!!

Guys this is no longer a stream, only hit water when I reach water table. There is a bigger stream on the property where I also prospect and I have stocked it a couple of times in the past with rainbow trout. I have a place higher up in the mtns. that is regularly stocked with rainbow & sometimes brown thats where I do most of my fishing. Fly fishing & surf fishing when I get to the coast are my two favorite types of fishing. Just went deep sea fishing last week for the first time in 40+ years at Calabash, NC and water was rough probably something to do with the tropical storm Debby, any way got sick after about 1 hr and had to stay out for another 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. never was so glad to hear the Capt. say bring em in we're heading back in.

Ah yes ... the chum machine working overtime! Hope the fishing was good! Mike F

Since you're in Western NC I'll also add that there never were sapphires and rubies at the top of the creek deposit either, they were always on the bottom end of the deposit and would come in pockets.

Hook line and sinker!

You're going to have to make bedrock and then try to cross-section the stream to find its extents and see if you can read what it was doing at this particular location.

It will be a piece of work, but an awesome adventure.