MonsterGuppy

Any advice dealing with black ants?

35 posts in this topic

Hi all, have been a lurker for a while now, just upgraded from a minelab eureka gold to a gpx 5000. Now that im digging way deeper holes for all those valuable rusty tin cans, bullets, and pull tops lol. My targets always seem to be in or very near a black ant nest. Anyone have some tricks/advice to keep them away while digging? Most of my detecting is done on the usual club claims in southern calif.

Carry a spray bottle with gas in it, It will make short work of them. Not a big bottle . Grubstake

Just cover there hole with a few shovels of dirt. Buy the time they figure out what's going on you will be gone.

Long Term, us Ortho Ant Be Gone.

A 25% dilution of ammonia and dishsoap. And you don't have to worry about smoking.

Don't know if they were black but I got 5 welts on me yesterday from diggin while out nugget huntn.

I carry benadryl creme with me takes the ichin away.

Never could figure how they end up under my shirt an bitin without me knowin :*&$*(:

Thanks all some great advice and tips :) Will use some of them for sure, little buggers have been eating me alive few outings. rgiroux45 I can see myself getting rid of the Eureka gold in the near future, still have a lot to learn using the gpx5000 thou, so for now im hanging on to it.

OK MonsterGuppy -

If you click on my user name you can contact me there - when you decide to sell

Get you some of that chocolate dip for ice cream and dip the ants in it and eat them, they say chocolate covered ants are good and the revenge should make you feel better!!! :idea:

Skip

Yeah, kill them or leave them alone :ROFL:

TNT works two-fold for me. Digs first several inches of the hole and will crush the little buggers with the shock wave.

You just gotta use a silences with it to keep from telling everyone where ya are LOL

In all seriousness, I'm not.

You could always try this! LOL

:*&$*(: to kill stinkn' black ants :evil1: get some white power :nutty: oooooo bad ol'man yet again.. All bs aside chlordane is the absolute best ant killer ever made but a mite hard to find especially in kalif land a stupidity---John

It's been outlawed for at least 20 years( 1988, I think). THere are many more benign ways to do the deed without poisoning groundwater, animals or giving yourself a cancer, JOhn.

Only ifn' your stupid as all chemicals proper application is ez and protection for all issues easily accomplished but touchie feelie protect idjets from everything psyche has banned all that works.....I've used it--as raised in the nursery biz--for over 55 years PROPERLY and ain't killed anything or hurt anybody but..........John

JOhn, you can use dishsoap and ammonia -and boiling water, for that matter- if you're really cheap.

You don't need HAZMAT protection for that and the ingredients are much easier to locate

Just because it hasn't killed you doesn't make it any less illegal to use. It doesn't biodegrade. It kills fish and can cause cancer( I know -lots of things cause cancer).

I thought we're to promote a "tread lightly" atmosphere around here? SImilar to filling in our diggin' holes..

. NOt using banned pesticides in the field should also be in our skillset.

I would think boiling water has caused much more harm to people than an insecticide (that is not even available anymore) and would be pretty hard to have while out beeping

LOL! All the Bug Bomb they sell today is worthless. Raid, HotShot the lot. It say's KILLS ON CONTACT but the only way it works for me is if I Smack the Bugs with the Can.

I would think boiling water has caused much more harm to people than an insecticide (that is not even available anymore) and would be pretty hard to have while out beeping

To be sure, Mr DOrado ( :) may I call you El?) boiling water on people is bad, but the idea is to pour it onto the mound.

Do you only encounter ants while beeping? None at home? :brows: Funny, as I don't beep but have plenty of ants at home.

If water is to be used ,better to form a ring around it so it will contain the boiling water better. Adding :thumbsupanim Lemon sudsy AMMONIA (LSA)to it, just as you are about to pour- even better.

Folks in TExas have success against fireants in these and other ways. SOme add citrus oils and compost "tea" as well.

Maybe just a stick would be best to just dust the ants away as they get close to where you have a drywasher setup. Or a cheap feather duster.

Maybe a spray of PINESOL on the boots of the "beeper" would deter those ants that escape notice. YOu could also apply a schmear of TAnglefoot around your boots but talk about a mess!!!!!!!

For beeping encounter( were I to...). I would just carry the LSA , straight stuff. NO more than a small flask's worth. Or smalll spray bottle of 25% to knock off the meandering hordes out and about, if that is the case.

Ants are encountered almost every time I go detecting and I am sure the same is true for many others. It's Joe-no-shoulders I worry about.

I have to agree with Steve (El Dorado) ... ants in the field are very common ... I pay more attention to signs of Joe-No-Shoulders or scorpions ... and Javelinas and bees in some areas ... than an ant troop. Got to pick your battles if you are to win the war!

Mike F

Mr Guppy, try a product called Herbal Armor(wwwalteraincodotcom). COntains oils of CItronella, Lemongrass,Cedar, Geranium,Peppermint,Soybean. 4oz spray bottle cost me $4 on sale. YOu'll smell like a lemon, mosquito candle after, but if you keep the spray down low on your legs, chaps, socks and boots, it should work to deter them from crawling up onto you and biting.

:smack: THose harvester ants can pack a punch.

This sure seems like a lot of trouble for the occasional singal in or near an anthill...you should see some of the ants that infest Ausralia...big and mean, little and mean...like everything in Oz, they love a good fight!

fred