Andyy

Cooper's Treasure

25 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who got sucked into this show?    The idea makes sense.  There is not a lot to do when you're stuck up in space looking for missile silos.  You might as well plot out some ship wrecks.  About the only time I get to wreck dive is when I'm at a tourist spot on vacations.  No hope for finding anything there :)   But  I could definitely see or imagine the pull of trying to find these lost ships.  A little more fruitful than looking for trinkets or nuggets but a lot more investment up front.   Of course, if you find anything, you'll likely be fighting the government from taking it back.

Anyways, I found the show interesting.

Loxlie and nugget108 like this

4 hours ago, Andyy said:

About the only time I get to wreck dive is when I'm at a tourist spot on vacations.  No hope for finding anything there...

Andy -- It's been a while since I checked this out and never did read everything mainly cos I don't dive, but you can or at least could dive the Atocha with a working team.. Pretty sure you could keep what you found too.. I don't know any of the requirements though, like if you need to "join" anything or yada yada.. May be worth your while at least taking a look-see though.. They had a couple year's worth of blog going, vids, etc.. Who knows -- it might be a bucket list vacay destination at some point.. FWIW.. http://www.melfisher.com/default.html 

Swamp

Edit: Located @ Key West, FL

Edited by Swampstomper Al
Andyy and Hoser John like this

4 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

I watched it, a bit interesting so far but I'm sure it will get more interesting as it goes on, but I wanted to SMACK his Dad a good one towards the end of the show, what a prick!!!

Exactly, Skip.  You knew something was up when the wife kept saying "NO he's just a bad person".   I could totally see that meeting happening.   

I'm a sucker for Discovery shows.  Especially ones about hunting for treasure.  And there have been more than a few.

nugget108 likes this

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Andy -- It's been a while since I checked this out and never did read everything mainly cos I don't dive, but you can or at least could dive the Atocha with a working team.. Pretty sure you could keep what you found too.. I don't know any of the requirements though, like if you need to "join" anything or yada yada.. May be worth your while at least taking a look-see though.. They had a couple year's worth of blog going, vids, etc.. Who knows -- it might be a bucket list vacay destination at some point.. FWIW.. http://www.melfisher.com/default.html 

Swamp

Edit: Located @ Key West, FL

Swamp - I would have thought you of all people would have jumped on something like this.  But to be realistic, you'd probably have to get a group of friends with like interests to do this kind of thing.  Basically do research for a few months and then dive your most likely areas.  Commercial operations probably wouldn't have much hope.  Would you take a group of strangers to a nugget patch? :)   

Bad choice of wording on my part when I used "working team," Andy.. "Guides" would be much better put..

It's been at least a year since my one-and-only drop-by.. And while I hate having to use "If I remember correctly...," the impression I got from skim-reading is the majority of the commercial recovery operation finished up years ago and the focal points these days are mapping refinements and "putting people onto the gold" as it were.. There's several sections scattered about that tend to have a leading find item including a section where a detector won't help at all since its specialty is emerald..

Anyhow, just a thought based on what you'd mentioned.. The feeling I got was the heavy lifting there is long ago done and they've been able to keep the site operational since it's still producing, doing so without having to turn it into Just Another Roadside Attraction.. To me, those alone put it three-steps above 'going somewhere to dive a wreck..'

But hey, I'm not a pitchman for them.. Merely hit me as something that might strike your interest based on what I'm assuming have been past experiences for you.. There's definitely still treasure to be had there..

Swamp

Andyy likes this

To me it looks like the adventure of a lifetime but his dad is a rotten old fool who is chopping off his nose to spite his ugly face. Utilizing the next generation to attain your dreams is fantastic as a win win win-you obtain your dream-aquire wealth-and reaquire relations with a son who puts up with your S%$#. John  PS-I had a great math teacher at Redondo Beach high school who hired me to work in his board/dive shop in Redondo. He was dismissed as a foolish dreamer, scammer, fool. His name was Mel Fisher and hahahah look how THAT worked out...

Edited by Hoser John

6 hours ago, Hoser John said:

To me it looks like the adventure of a lifetime but his dad is... [ snip ] John

Unfortunately you are correct with that assessment, John..

Would be great if it was otherwise, but it isn't.. In this instance it isn't about the yin / yang that tends to follow back-to-back generations either.. It's wayyy more about the old man's dealings with the politics of Key West, early investor involvements and all the BS goings on with those than any sort of father - son strife..

To me it appears they've been able to keep the two sides of the coin ( museum, charity involvements etc. vs the diving operation ) as separated as possible, but at the end of the day they do all fall under the same umbrella.. I think it's about as good as it can get when all the circumstances and situations are rolled together.. Of course that's my distant and outsider's POV only.. It isn't like external forces can put pressure on the divers to "find something new now because we need a boost" or anything like that.. On this front things are what they are.. On the others it can get all kinds of pushy-shove-y and wordy..

Swamp

Andyy and Hoser John like this

Jill and I watched the first episode and had mixed feelings about the series.  It's a catchy narrative for sure, but a few things bothered me.  First, they used a low cost, old technology Minelab Excaliber in the Mexican dive scenes (which is okay as a limited depth beach machine), but you'd think they would have used a Fishers or some other, higher tech scanner in light of the big bucks they already were dumping just to travel all the way down to Mexico plus rent the boat and crew for several days.  Second, the way they waved the detectors around a foot above the sand instead of keeping the coil pressed close to, or actually into, the sandy surface in some sort of meaningful search pattern indicates to me a lack of actual underwater metal detecting experience, i.e., the dive scenes seemed staged to me.  Oh well, picky, picky me.  I'll watch the second episode, but my instinct is warning that this will develop into more of a dysfunctional soap opera that a serious treasure hunt.

Uncle Ron likes this

Funny.  I noticed the same thing on the swing.  We've had that drilled into our heads for so long that it really sticks out when you see someone doing it wrong.

I also had to question why Gordon didn't retrieve all of the treasure himself.   What .. he just liked recording treasure maps?  

Even though there are holes all over in the story, I'm still captivated.  Just about any kind of treasure hunt will raise my blood pressure.

About to get pretty interesting. Tv series always draw it all out to make more BUT time will tell and I hope he hits it BIG for Gordys' legacy anyhow-John

Andyy and Au Seeker like this

On 4/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, Andyy said:

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who got sucked into this show?

They don't call it the boob tube for nothing.

Edited by Morlock
Andyy likes this

Mining and treasure hunting require patience and will just wait and see BUT Atocha on his map does prove that at least some are accurate. Could have saved them many years and millions of dollars as admitted by Fisher...jus' sayn' patience is a virtue-John

Assuming they find some great treasures, I'm curious if they'll be able to keep it all.  I guess that depends on if it ends up being far enough off shore to be considered international waters.  That would have to be one of my criteria when screening out which patches .. I mean ships to go after :)

Hoser John likes this

Ship found and massive anchor and many artifacts galore. NEXT comes the treasures after iron/brass/bronze removed. SOOO cool Wish I wasn't  a fog -John :th:

Exactly John. It's finally starting to get more interesting.  I think the next show is the finale.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, Hoser John said:

Ship found and massive anchor and many artifacts galore. NEXT comes the treasures after iron/brass/bronze removed. SOOO cool Wish I wasn't  a fog -John :th:

What's a "fog", John?   Acronym (Full of Gold ... Full of Gas....Full on Groupy ... )   ok.. I give.

6 hours ago, Andyy said:

What's a "fog", John?   Acronym (Full of Gold ... Full of Gas....Full on Groupy ... )   ok.. I give.

Welll, it isn't an acronym -- it's a contraction of sorts..
But I ain't gonna say it, cos of the jinx factor involved..
Soooo, let's just say it rhymes with "hoagy" (genuflecting & begging forgiveness
from the Powers That Be, since I wear an identical suit..):th:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
Andyy and SanDomingoJim like this

Thank  you, Swamp.  What would I do without you?  I was nowhere near correct in my thinking ... LOL

Swampstomper Al likes this

"Where theres and anchor, there's a shipwreck, where there's a shipwreck, there's treasure" :)   Oh yeah.  

Got me hooked as treasure,anchor and draghooks all go together. Hope it's another Atocha-John

I never thought I would be so excited to see someone pull an anchor out of the ocean.  But I can feel their passion!!  Awesome!

It's like finding that patch that others went right over.  Priceless!!

Edited by Andyy