• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports in General, but especially Nascar... Offroading and now GOLD

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

Well first of all, here is a couple pics of the big white rock I saw buried, a few weeks ago, I went back and dug it up, it was just that, a big rock. not connected to bedrock... The final pic shows what looks like it could be a short vein of silver running through it?? There is an old trench dug along the ridge about 30 feet from this rock, it was about 3 feet wide, 6 feet deep and about 25 - 30 feet long.

Now here is a bunch of them that start with just a quartz vein way in a rock up on a hill, then down hill a quartz outcropping that appears and disappears down the hillside to the bottom of the wash and then runs back uphill on the other side. Then downhill aways alot more quartz with red and black lines in it and there is a whole hillside of outcroppings with loose rocks scattered below them. I worked a few prime spots in the washes below this quartz and did not find a speck of color, could not find any claim markers anywhere around, now wondering if I gave blm a gps coordinate if they could tell me the status of the land?

http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06795.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06799.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06800.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06805.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06807.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06824.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06825.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06822.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06829.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06830.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06831.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06836.jpg
http://i44.photobuck...tz/DSC06837.jpg

#2 jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing(especially for Flathead Catfish), Cars, Anything outdoors. I've played some computer games. SWG, LOTRO. I LOVE MUSIC! I'm a student at my community college right now and am enjoying my geography and geology classes and even my bioligy class.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:25 AM

Maybe some experts can chime in on this and let me know how off base I am or am not. There is nothing wrong with those outcroppings but from what I have read it seems the more mineralised quartz outcroppings are usually broken up and even crumbly. Some of those outcroppings had exeptionally large peices of rocks in comparison to the stuff in my area. It definately looks like a good place though. I can't wait to see what some of the top guns think.
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

"So go forth, into the placer fields and hunt! Speak to bearded folk and dig a five gallon bucket of rusty crap. Listen to racket through headphones for days, maybe weeks. Bring sunscreen, snake chaps and bug repellent, water and a mild sedative. One day you will find one. It will be very cool." -Bedrock Bob (11/08)

#3 rluckadoo

rluckadoo

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:I am a geologist/geophysicist by education and a dredger and detectorist by heart. Recently moved from NC to Colorado with my job. Looking forward to finding lots of Rocky Mountain Gold!!

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:09 PM

Just wondering if you had researched the area to see if it was a "gold producing" area in the past? I would be more interested in checking out the washes in the area, below and down gradient from the vein in question, with a vacuum and drywasher to see whether there is color. Although much of the gold we find in placer concentrations comes originally from hydrothermal quartz intrusions and vein systems, just because there is a quartz vein there, doesn't mean it is "carrying" gold. If it was, chances are that over time, some of it has weathered, broken up, washed down the hillsides, and has been deposited in a placer in the bedrock cracks in some of the washes. If there is gold in those washes, then there is probably a lode vein that is "carrying" somewhere nearby. If there is no sign of gold in the washes, then chances are slim this is a vein that is carrying gold. Although, quartz doe not have to be the "dirty" or "drusy" really brown, ugly mineralized quartz to be carrying gold. Sometimes the big, snow white, quartz veins like in the photo are more pegmatitic in nature, with a mineral makeup that doesn't really include gold.

The more you study geology, the more you will realize it is a fairly inexact science, always offering up suprise after suprise. After all..................................gold is where you find it!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

#4 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports in General, but especially Nascar... Offroading and now GOLD

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

Yeah the area in general is a good gold producing area in the past and pretty good currently from what I am reading, but that is what I intend to find out about this specific feeder. This was my first trip following Little San Domingo wash aways and I just turned and went up a feeder wash as far as I could go until it got too narrow for my big chevy truck. The plan was just drywashing a little in the area and then I saw the white rock up on the hill and once I got up there, saw a bunch more and wasted most of my time walking around up there after that. Plan to go back and do a little drywashing, but since it is raining now, might be a few weeks before it is dry enough to do that. This is within a half mile (as the crow flies) of a couple of old lode mines according to the maps.

#5 Randy Wright

Randy Wright

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:LDM, model trains, racing (F1), gold hunting :)

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, there is a lot of gold in that area :)

That's a Bull Quartz outcropping :) I think it's Epithermal, though I'm not expert by any means. It wouldn't hurt to break up some of that rock and see if you get any color out of it. You just might. Also look around the vein, you might find some gold surrounding it.

It would be a good idea to take GPS coordinates to the BLM and just check to make sure it's not claimed before you start digging coffeetime.gif
Randy Wright
Recording Engineer
AJ, AZ

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

#6 jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing(especially for Flathead Catfish), Cars, Anything outdoors. I've played some computer games. SWG, LOTRO. I LOVE MUSIC! I'm a student at my community college right now and am enjoying my geography and geology classes and even my bioligy class.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Even if you don't drywash you should always take some home. I never hike around and explore without bringing home a sample. I've sampled even some dumb looking spots... If you look around you'll read lots of stories of people finding gold in odd places, I figure if I'm there... might as well take a sample home.
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

"So go forth, into the placer fields and hunt! Speak to bearded folk and dig a five gallon bucket of rusty crap. Listen to racket through headphones for days, maybe weeks. Bring sunscreen, snake chaps and bug repellent, water and a mild sedative. One day you will find one. It will be very cool." -Bedrock Bob (11/08)

#7 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Yeah I normally come home with lots of samples but all my buckets were already still full that trip, I had spent the week building a wee washer that I found plans for online. I did run a 5 gallon bucket or two through it from a wash that should have been fed partially by this quartz hillside, but no color.

Not sure if this weather will mean the wash is flowing or not, but if not I am going to get some exact gps coodinates standing on the 3 main outcroppings, between the map in my garmin (which is a topo overlay that was a free download from somewhere I found on the 'net) and USGS topo maps I have, this land is borderline state trust and blm land and even close to private property. Garmin says I was on state trust land, but from what I can tell on the topo map, I should be well onto blm land. I think the garmin overlay is off just a few degrees. The very small scale blm surface management map shows private property in the area, but really hard to tell exactly where it is compared to the much larger scale topo. These outcroppings are a few hundred yards apart probably stretching out well over an 1/4 mile or more and the only gps point I took was my truck well over a 1/4 mile from them. I did alot of walking around and no claim markers to be found, but I do want to be positive before I go to crazy here.

I was thinking about just taking a sample just slightly downhill from one of these outcroppings where there was a bunch of that so called gold weed growing, and we were going to work the wash some tomorrow if I can get up there. Also thinking I should just bring some samples of the quartz home and crushing it myself and see what I can find. Is that all there would be too it? Just crush it up and pan it out?

#8 Randy Wright

Randy Wright

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:LDM, model trains, racing (F1), gold hunting :)

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (OldSkool Fool @ May 23 2008, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that all there would be too it? Just crush it up and pan it out?

Yep. Try to find pieces that looks like they have some color to them. Maybe not visible gold, but even yellow/rustish colors can produce gold sometimes. If it's low grade ore you'll need to crush a lot before you find any. Take a few buckets of rock and crush
them, see what comes out. You never know :)

This is my opinion. Bob and Dave probably have way better ideas. I'm waiting to hear back from Dave about a vein I found on one of my claims up there. He's crushing it for me icon_mrgreen.gif
Randy Wright
Recording Engineer
AJ, AZ

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

#9 sawmill

sawmill

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

OSF

Just throwing a few things out there to consider.
I would take some samples from the trench,and
below the outcrop.
Also if a real prospector went to the trouble to
dig the trench
, you can bet they tested the outcrop.
But there is always the chance the guy was a
newbie too. Not all the old prospectors were as
clever as thought. During the depression most
were just average Joe's,hoping to get lucky,
before they starved to death. So you can really
never trust that the previous prospector knew
what he was doing,unless you have some real
experience yourself.
It is a common mistake,to assume that the
guy that was there first,was a pro,and was
really on to something.
Crushing and panning the samples will work
for free milling ore,as a start. But some of the
richest ore contains gold that can't be panned
or seen by eye. If the quartz shows heavy
mineralization get a real assay done.
Check around the trench for drywasher piles.
If they drywashed the trench ,they were getting
something,and it is a sign that they were after
gold.
Not all the prospect holes were made by gold
prospectors.
As my good friend Dave Wiseman says,sample,
sample,sample. Sometimes crappy looking
rock can carry the best gold,and text book kind
of stuff won't have a grain. laught16.gif

#10 vini

vini

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:27 AM

I think I see greenstone that may be GQVC ( Greenstone-hosted quartz-carbonate vein deposits ) in a few of those pictures ?

THats definetly a good area to check thoroughly, follow the vein go deep dig, assay.

#11 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Everyone, for all the input!
Went out Saturday and the sky was black and I chickened out from driving that far up the wash...

Anyway, going to get some exact coordinates this weekend and check out the land status, then assuming it's legal, going to go get some rock samples.

If I was going to crush it up to pan out myself for initial tests, does it all have to be a fine powder or more like something that goes through a 1/4" classifier??

#12 sawmill

sawmill

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:18 AM

OS F
I pound my samples to powder and run them
through a fine mesh tea strainer,that I stole from
my wife.
The strainer will catch any pickers or chunks as
they will be flattened .All the fines can be panned
out of the powder.
Lots of gold can be locked inside of 1/4 inch rocks,
in a lode situation. You could miss it,and not get a real
estimate of the vein.

#13 dave wiseman

dave wiseman

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Quartz vein sampling and mining

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (OldSkool Fool @ May 28 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Everyone, for all the input!
Went out Saturday and the sky was black and I chickened out from driving that far up the wash...

Anyway, going to get some exact coordinates this weekend and check out the land status, then assuming it's legal, going to go get some rock samples.

If I was going to crush it up to pan out myself for initial tests, does it all have to be a fine powder or more like something that goes through a 1/4" classifier??

http://www.goldplace...ardrockgold.htm you might want to read this or similar stuff....
Dave Wiseman

#14 jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

Nice thanks!

#15 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (dave wiseman @ May 28 2008, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.goldplace...ardrockgold.htm you might want to read this or similar stuff....

Thanks Dave!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users