• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OldSalt

OldSalt

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Rock Hounding, Paranormal Stuff, Swimming, Dogs. U.S. Navy Retired.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

I have decided that I need a Gas powered VAC. While shopping for one I noticed that some of the gas leaf blowers also double as a vacuum.

Looks like they vacuum from the blower nozzle in to an attached bag.

I am wondering if it might be possible to hook up a vac hose in place of the vacuum bag and run the hose to a sealed 5 gal bucket where the vacuumed up material could collect.

I noticed that some of these leaf blowers with the vacuum capability say they mulch. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

If anyone knows anything about these please reply. Thanks.

#2 azdigger

azdigger

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting,camping ,prospecting and just being in the outdoors. Also fly RC planes

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:13 PM

This web page might help some
http://prospecting.a...om/vacpak1.html
Rick in Kingman AZ
KE7NPH
Whites MXT
Recirculating Sluice , Gold Magic wheel
Polaris Quad

#3 wyldkatt7

wyldkatt7

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (OldSalt @ Oct 14 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have decided that I need a Gas powered VAC. While shopping for one I noticed that some of the gas leaf blowers also double as a vacuum.

I am wondering if it might be possible to hook up a vac hose in place of the vacuum bag and run the hose to a sealed 5 gal bucket where the vacuumed up material could collect.

I noticed that some of these leaf blowers with the vacuum capability say they mulch. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

Old Salt.......
you may want to look over in the DIY forum.....
Randy Wright and Old Skool Fool have some details over there about vac-paks...
"the farther backward you look-
the farther forward you will see..."
-Churchill-

#4 OldSalt

OldSalt

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Rock Hounding, Paranormal Stuff, Swimming, Dogs. U.S. Navy Retired.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

Gents, thanks for the responses but what I am wondering about is if anyone knows about the gas blowers that double as vacs and if that vacuum feature could be utilized for prospecting.

#5 azdigger

azdigger

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting,camping ,prospecting and just being in the outdoors. Also fly RC planes

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Yep, blow air out for drywasher and suck air into 5 gal bucket to pan......look at the web sit I sent, it should tell what ya need to know...I hope.
Rick in Kingman AZ
KE7NPH
Whites MXT
Recirculating Sluice , Gold Magic wheel
Polaris Quad

#6 Randy Wright

Randy Wright

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:LDM, model trains, racing (F1), gold hunting :)

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (OldSalt @ Oct 15 2008, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gents, thanks for the responses but what I am wondering about is if anyone knows about the gas blowers that double as vacs and if that vacuum feature could be utilized for prospecting.

Yeah, they work great. You just switch which end your using to blow or suck (wow that sounds bad). I use mine to vac out bedrock into a 5 gal bucket, then blow into a Gold Buddy drywasher.

Here:

http://www.nuggetsho...showtopic=13011
Randy Wright
Recording Engineer
AJ, AZ

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

#7 OldSalt

OldSalt

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

http://www.expotv.co...owerVac/28-1dgP

Not sure if this link will work, but after watching this video I now understand how they work.

Thanks for all the help.

#8 drayegon

drayegon

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (OldSalt @ Oct 14 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Problem with the one that mulch is they run the vacuumed stuff through the motor fan and use it to chop up the leaves. That right there will eat up your vac in a heart beat. The best way to do it is take a leaf blower and hook it up to fit in the top of a 5 gal bucket. it sucks the dirt and gravel using the suction from the blower. That pulls the dirt and gravel into the bucket the dirt and gravel drop out and the rest of the air used to move the dirt will then be sucked out of the bucket and blown into space or actually your face is where it always hit me when it blows air. Just read all the DIY pages.

dray

Mine vac bucket cost me $100 for a brand new leaf blower from Poulan and 25 bucks for the parts to convert the bucket. O and 8 bucks for a bucket with lid. % gal size I pour from it into a classifier that I set on my 3gal bucket. hey a five gallon bucket of dirt is heavy. I don't like to work my wife to hard do you??

dray

Opps she just threw a pillow at me.

Duck here it comes again <G>

#9 MookieStick

MookieStick

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests: Forrestry service passport in time digs for shure!

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

I own Keenes gas powered shop vac and run it on my dry washer and also to vaccume things up. I am wondering if it would be better to build it into a backpack lick structure or go with a custom built dolly with large neumatic wheels to make it easier to haul it back full:)
If you need let me know and Ill take some pics of the vac for you. I am happy with mine and feel it should be arround the rest of my prospecting life. If I were to build my own I would be shure to put the most powerful blower possible on top!
Gordon

#10 ringer

ringer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (MookieStick @ Jan 5 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I own Keenes gas powered shop vac and run it on my dry washer and also to vaccume things up. I am wondering if it would be better to build it into a backpack lick structure or go with a custom built dolly with large neumatic wheels to make it easier to haul it back full:)
If you need let me know and Ill take some pics of the vac for you. I am happy with mine and feel it should be arround the rest of my prospecting life. If I were to build my own I would be shure to put the most powerful blower possible on top!
Gordon

I just found a brand new Echo 413H on craigslist for $200. Found a 6 gallon Rigid shop vac for $15 and it had a nice flat top. Took off the electric motor and mounted the Echo on top. Fabricated a tank bracket out of aluminum angle and plate and also a bracket for the throttle from angle aluminum. The shop vac solved the problem of the hose adapter since it had one on the tank. It also had perfect mounting holes for everything. I have a game cart for hunting with hard rubber tires to use but I think I can adapt my hunting pack frame to haul the vac and my Gold Buddy without killing myself on a short trek. The Echo is 44cc and has good vacuum but not too much at all.

#11 ringer

ringer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (ringer @ Jan 5 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just found a brand new Echo 413H on craigslist for $200. Found a 6 gallon Rigid shop vac for $15 and it had a nice flat top. Took off the electric motor and mounted the Echo on top. Fabricated a tank bracket out of aluminum angle and plate and also a bracket for the throttle from angle aluminum. The shop vac solved the problem of the hose adapter since it had one on the tank. It also had perfect mounting holes for everything. I have a game cart for hunting with hard rubber tires to use but I think I can adapt my hunting pack frame to haul the vac and my Gold Buddy without killing myself on a short trek. The Echo is 44cc and has good vacuum but not too much at all.

First try at a photo so hope it works.

Attached Thumbnails

• xmas08_021.jpg
  • xmas08_019.jpg

#12 jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing(especially for Flathead Catfish), Cars, Anything outdoors. I've played some computer games. SWG, LOTRO. I LOVE MUSIC! I'm a student at my community college right now and am enjoying my geography and geology classes and even my bioligy class.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Fancy!
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

"So go forth, into the placer fields and hunt! Speak to bearded folk and dig a five gallon bucket of rusty crap. Listen to racket through headphones for days, maybe weeks. Bring sunscreen, snake chaps and bug repellent, water and a mild sedative. One day you will find one. It will be very cool." -Bedrock Bob (11/08)

#13 lotsa luck

lotsa luck

24 Karat Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (ringer @ Jan 6 2009, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First try at a photo so hope it works.

That looks familiar ringer... LOL
The 44cc Echo's will just about suck start a Harley. You will have fun with that once things dry out again.
Tell Nummie nice job!

#14 LB Dave

LB Dave

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Bird Hunting, Fishing, Shooting, wood working, and the newest nugget shooting, coin collecting.

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (OldSalt @ Oct 14 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I purchased a kit from a Jobe Distributer on line, that consisted of a 5 gal bucket, a hose, and a conversion kit mounted on the bucket. I use the Sears Gas leaf blower that I bought on sale to power my Gold Duster Dry Washer, and it works great I think the bucket with the kit was $125.00
LB Dave
AKA Dave Lanier
Long Beach Ca.
WSPA #115, pcsc 3059

#15 ringer

ringer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (LB Dave @ Jan 6 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I purchased a kit from a Jobe Distributer on line, that consisted of a 5 gal bucket, a hose, and a conversion kit mounted on the bucket. I use the Sears Gas leaf blower that I bought on sale to power my Gold Duster Dry Washer, and it works great I think the bucket with the kit was $125.00

It is an ultimate Lotsaluck design made from some new and some old. I did the brackets and mounted the tank and throttle and my shop foreman cut the top and mounted the motor so Nummie could rest up after a hard day of sitting on his butt. Got maybe $225 in it total but have a brand new motor so figured why not. Now if I can find someplace to learn drywashing without getting shot we will be good. I looked at geocommunicator and looks like just about everywhere I want to work is claimed.

#16 lotsa luck

lotsa luck

24 Karat Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hey Ringer, give me a call later this afternoon or evening when you are sitting at your PC and I'll talk you through how to research most places without ever leaving your computer. It'l give you loads of ideas on where to go prospect and look around while still being legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users