• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:NuggetShooting, but it used to be "Younger Women, Older Whiskey"...That's how I stayed this healthy and handsome this long!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

Yo All...I was out huntin' nuggets Saturday and came upon another piece of the Wickenburg meteorite...It is identical to the other whole oriented one I found last year...37.7 grams with good crust on it and slightly oriented...I specked it first then swung my coil over it...It screamed!!! This one was several miles away from the first two I found...Cheers, Unc

Attached Thumbnails

• 2_21_09_WM_3InSituA.jpg
  • 2_21_09_WM_3Vista.jpg
  • 2_21_09_WM_3b.jpg

Posted ImageUncle Ron's Custom Arizona Gold Finding Maps for 2014
If you want to cut days, months or even years off of finding that next gold nugget, look only for the nuggets with your name on them

#2 freelancer79d

freelancer79d

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite Hunting, Arrowhead Hunting, Fossil Hunting, Rock Hounding.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Congratz it looks beautiful.
Freelancer79d

aka:
Dustin R. Stober
Lancaster, CA

"Finding What Falls From The Sky By Keeping My Eyes On The Ground"

#3 Regmaglitch

Regmaglitch

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, prospecting

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hi Ron,
Nice one. That one looks decent. It's not as weathered. Congrats.
Ben

#4 Jayray

Jayray

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Interests:All things considered...

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Ron, very nice indeed!!! The first pic looks like it weighs about 500 grams. Nice insitu. Jason ;).gif
---------------------
J.S.
Amateur Meteorite Hunter and Prospector
http://www.meteorseeker.com
meteorseeker@cox.net

#5 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:NuggetShooting, but it used to be "Younger Women, Older Whiskey"...That's how I stayed this healthy and handsome this long!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks, guys..That brings up a question...Are meteorites weighed in Troy weight or Adv. ounces? ...Or is it just in grams & kilograms?..Cheers, Unc
If you want to cut days, months or even years off of finding that next gold nugget, look only for the nuggets with your name on them

#6 Regmaglitch

Regmaglitch

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, prospecting

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

Just grams and kilos.
Ben

#7 Johnno

Johnno

Platinum Member

• 1,973 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

G'Day Ron
Spectacular! Nice find. If you need a home for that, just let me know. As for weights, as Ben stated, they work on the metric system.. kilos, grams and milligrams and don't forget the measurements that work in centimeters and millimeters, as opposed to inches and feet.

Feet... darn, if I could only find a meteorite that I could measure in feet!! I would be one happy camper.

Congratulations Ron. Keep it up, mate and you might just start to forget about those yellow rocks. ... Nah!! That won't happen! I know I haven't, just because I've decided to concentrate on meteorites, I never forget where my beginnings started from. GOLD!!

Cheers
Johnno

John L. Cabassi

IMCA# 2125

http://www.MeteoriteJunction.com

http://www.facebook....MeteoriteJohnno

If you don't like geology then upper Jurassic!

#8 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hi Guys-

Anyone want to venture a guess what a Wickenburg meteorite (L-6) might be worth per gram? How would you price something like that? hmmmmmm.gif

The L-6 is not very common and low weight means it's very rare.

Steve

#9 Jayray

Jayray

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Steve, the L-6 type of meteorite is actually a pretty common chondrite but it's the fall amount and rarity that makes the price jump. One would have to consider the amount of material already recovered from the fall and on the market and see what people are willing to pay for it. The more rare, the higher the price, i.e. moon, mars, etc. Jason ;).gif
---------------------
J.S.
meteorseeker@cox.net

#10 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

From my research on the internet, for whatever that's worth, the Wickenburg is pretty rare on the market...There's one guy who has a small slab for sale for $10,000 but not much beyond that...I could be wrong...I have about 225 grams spread among three meteorites...2 are solid oriented pieces and one is broken up into about 18 pieces that all fit together like a puzzle except for the three small bits that have been grinded to see the chondrules inside...That brings up a question: If I make a window in the two larger oriented meteoritess, will that lower their value? Thanks, Cheers, Unc

#11 Jayray

Jayray

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Ron, I won't window the oriented ones. They would bring more if kept in the original condition and orientation, plus if there is a small chance of it being a different meteorite then it will be worth even more. Just my twocents.gif Jason ;).gif
---------------------
J.S.
meteorseeker@cox.net

#12 MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Interests:TREASURE and METEORITE HUNTING.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hi Unc
Very nice specimen. whoopie.gif New name for you. Uncle Wick?? And when does the Meteorite map hit the market??? winking0023.gif
Wayne

#13 fredmason

fredmason

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

I am sure Unc will be happy to share the co-ordinates...just as soon as he finishes gathering all the nuggets and space rocks he desires...yeah, right!

You might contact some of the wholesalers to get a feel for what they would pay...then put a trial-size piece on e-bay and see how that goes...assuming you want to sell...yes, I know wholesalers will low-ball but many times that is a realistic price if you want quick cash...

Nice finds Unc!!!

Fred

Fred Mason
WSPA 28

I don't want to lead.
I don't want to follow.
I want to go my own way in peace, if possible.

#14 Dean (N.M.)

Dean (N.M.)

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting with friends and family. Hiking, hunting, fishing. Riding my 1983 Harley Davidson Wide Glide.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

Uncle Ron,

Great finds you made! Keep finding em spacerocks Uncle Ron! Enjoyed the nice pics as well. Hey, I'll buy a map!

Ron, I would not grind a window. I put a window in my first chondrite and now I am wishing I would not have.

Dean
Those who say it cannot be done............
Should not interrupt the person doing it.

Giving is the corner stone of a mans life.

#15 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, metal detecting for meteorites/gold, drywashing.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:56 PM

Nice one Ron, looks like you might be onto the strewnfield. Now start plotting those finds out on a map and try to figure out where they're trying to point you to. I'll bet the strewn field is there waiting for you somewhere. ;).gif
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#16 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

Del, I created a strewnfield map that lined up my first two finds with each other and they pointed exactly to the general area the the two old original finds were made...It is a very large strewnfield, equal to or greater than Gold Basin....Then, my most recent find turned out to be completely off the apparent path by several miles and almost 90 degree angle...So either this is a very large strewnfield or my last one is a different meteorite, despite the apparent similarity in appearance...They both look like the earlier find shown on the blond wood background...Do some meteorites look very similar on the outside just to fool you?....Trickster space pebbles? ... Here's side by side photos, although different lighting and background...In hand, they look pretty identical except the last one seems to have more desert varnish....You can see specks of chondrules on both of them on the outside...The coarse photo shows my cut piece below and the angular shows a Wickenburg sample I picked up someplace on the internet....Thanks for any ideas on this...Cheers, Unc

Attached Thumbnails

• 2_21_09_WM_3a.jpg
  • WM2CloseUpSmall.JPG
  • WickenburgMeteoriteFindCut10_25_07.JPG
  • wickenburgslice.jpg

#17 TroyPounder

TroyPounder

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Trap shooting, Scuba Diving, Hunting & Fishing, hiking. Off-roading. Treasure hunting of all kinds, water sports, reading.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

NICE find Uncle Ron! I was on another site reading that Meteorites were around $200-$300 per gram. Im not sure if that is Absolute, but I did read that somewhere. I am also in the Knife business, purveyor, Seller. I have a bunch of friends who are custom Makers and they pay big time for Meteorite, because they use it in making knives. Some use it for the scales or scale inserts and some use for bolstering and what not. As rare as it is, it sure makes the value of their knives rise in price. I am told it is hard as hell to cut and shape, and once it is polished it looks pretty darn cool!! Hey Ron once I get my new detector if you would want to help me get started that would be great? I am getting a White's GMT E-series.

Peace
Michael

Everyday Above ground is a good day!Unless your digging for gold...

#18 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Yo Michael...My experience has been that folks say meteorites are worth a buttload o'bucks, but when you have something unusual, then the prices drop from large dollars to "it's not worth bending over to pick it up"....Kind of like a penny in a parking lot......I'm in the midst of an interesting strewnfield, and, best as I can tell, I'm the only person on earth who has the strewnfield indicators mapped out...But it's still not worth the gold I'd give up if I revealed what I've found...Way it is, movin' west...Cheers, Unc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users