6 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse F.

Jesse F.

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

Only thing I have been able to come up with on the internet from forest service and blm. Is that any prospecting equipment larger than 11hp engine/motor, or if i disturb a certain amount of ground (cant remember the limit) I need to submit a plan of operations.

Questions?

1. Why can you only use a 3" dredge on GPAA & ROADRUNNER PROSPECTOR claims.

2. {RoadRunners rules and regulations} EQUIPMENT - Dredge size is limited to three (3) inches on all claims where dredging is allowed, with the exception of those members grand fathered in on the Forest Service list for use of four (4) inch dredges. The dredge size is determined by the suction hose diameter
(What does grand fathered in on forest service list for use of 4" dredge mean) is this just roadrunner
rules or forest service rules?

3. What is the maximum size dredge I can use on blm or forest service land for placer prospecting.

4. What is the maximum size dredge I can use on blm or forest service land If I submit a plan of operations

If anyone knows the do's and dont's of dredging here in arizona your info would be very helpful!, if you do not wish to post Pm me. Thanks

#2 SteveT

SteveT

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

The regs. are easy to figure out no matter where your at. Call the BLM. They will be more than happy to accomidate you.

The 3in. reg. on GPAA claims is pretty much common sense, they dont want a bunch of people in there tearin sh$$t up!!!

Happy hunting-dont forget your baby powder!!! laught16.gif

SteveT

#3 Jesse F.

Jesse F.

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Thanks Steve T, Ron on the GPAA forum answered all of my questions today. Thanks for your reply!

#4 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports in General, but especially Nascar... Offroading and now GOLD

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (Jesse F. @ Feb 28 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only thing I have been able to come up with on the internet from forest service and blm. Is that any prospecting equipment larger than 11hp engine/motor, or if i disturb a certain amount of ground (cant remember the limit) I need to submit a plan of operations.

Questions?

1. Why can you only use a 3" dredge on GPAA & ROADRUNNER PROSPECTOR claims.

2. {RoadRunners rules and regulations} EQUIPMENT - Dredge size is limited to three (3) inches on all claims where dredging is allowed, with the exception of those members grand fathered in on the Forest Service list for use of four (4) inch dredges. The dredge size is determined by the suction hose diameter
(What does grand fathered in on forest service list for use of 4" dredge mean) is this just roadrunner
rules or forest service rules?

3. What is the maximum size dredge I can use on blm or forest service land for placer prospecting.

4. What is the maximum size dredge I can use on blm or forest service land If I submit a plan of operations

If anyone knows the do's and dont's of dredging here in arizona your info would be very helpful!, if you do not wish to post Pm me. Thanks

From the research I have done, Prescott forest is the only National forest that prospecting is allowed on. Then is seems like it is pretty limited without a Notice of Intent except in the mineral withdrawl areas around Lynx Creek where it is open to the public but pick pan and shovel only. I emailed the ranger station there and asked them about prospecting elsewhere in the forest and the ranger forwarded it too the forest mineralogist (as of Nov '08) Frances Alvarado falvarado@fs.fed.us The notice of intent is not much of a big deal though. Just a simple form... This was his response I got back from him.

Source: 36 CFR 228.3 (a) Operations. All functions, work,and activities in
connection with prospecting, exploration, development,mining or processing
of mineral resources and all uses reasonably incident thereto, including
roads and other means of access on lands subject to the regulations in this
part, regardless of whether said operations take place on or off mining
claims.

I do recommend that you file a NOI if you decide to use additional
equipment listed above. Unfortunately, our CFRs is not explicit as to what
"significant surface resource disturbance" is. Some folks may see
reasonable to dig a pit (3x5') vs. 1x1' hole. I would hate for you to be
inconvenienced by one of our rangers or general public. If we see that
disturbance becomes significant, your activities will fall under a Plan of
Operation-PoO where additional environmental analysis will be required.
Our forest has several sensitive areas with respect to wildlife and
restrictions if any are site specific.

Good Luck
Jeff

#5 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,500 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Remember, he only recommended a NOI, he did not say it was required. Dredging in a creek does not create a substantial surface disturbance as long as you do not dredge into the banks and or kill any plantlife. A dredge is not considered as heavy equipment like a backhoe or dozer. If you are planning on a bit of dryland dredging, that would probably change the disturbance classifiacation.

Once you start a paperwork trail with the Forest Service, it can turn into a nightmare.... all depends on your District Ranger's agenda
El Dorado

#6 sonnysnewlife

sonnysnewlife

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Take my love, take my land <br />Take me where I cannot stand <br />I don't care, I'm still free <br />You can't take the sky from me <br />Take me out to the black <br />Tell them I ain't comin' back <br />Burn the land and boil the sea <br />You can't take the sky from me <br />There's no place I can be <br />Since I found Serenity <br />But you can't take the sky from me...

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

Suction Dredging requires permission from the Army Corps of Engineers. In Phoenix, please call (602) 640-5385. In Tucson, call (520) 670-5021. If using an intake four inches or less, it is recommended that you contact BLM. When using an intake larger than four inches, you are required to contact BLM.

Both Rush and Glenn are right.
I AM LEGION

#7 OldSkool Fool

OldSkool Fool

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports in General, but especially Nascar... Offroading and now GOLD

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (El Dorado @ Mar 2 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember, he only recommended a NOI, he did not say it was required. Dredging in a creek does not create a substantial surface disturbance as long as you do not dredge into the banks and or kill any plantlife. A dredge is not considered as heavy equipment like a backhoe or dozer. If you are planning on a bit of dryland dredging, that would probably change the disturbance classifiacation.

Once you start a paperwork trail with the Forest Service, it can turn into a nightmare.... all depends on your District Ranger's agenda

Thanks for the warning... I have not filed one yet, was thinking about it to do some drywashing somewhere up in the forest, when it drys back out this year, Probably around crown king or north or there, had not really decided exactly where though, Really just wanted to go someplace up there that I could use more than a pick pan and shovel. But since I finally broke down and bought a detector, I think I can go anywhere forest wide that is not already a claim or private property... and use it right, just fill in the divots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users