• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, metal detecting for meteorites/gold, drywashing.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

Yep you read it right... a GMZ! I always keep an eye out for good deals on detectors and came across this on the Sacramento CA Craigslist. Here's the link-

Craigslist GMZ Ad

I personally don't know anything about the seller nor the status of the GMZ's release. I found the ad and posted it here because I've seen forum members asking about it... Maybe this is your chance to get one? As with any online transactions be carefull, especially on Craigslist.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#2 frank c

frank c

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

Del, if it "speaks with authority" like he says I wonder how it is on meteorites, at 3 pounds it sounds like a winner.
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#3 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

Yeah Frank I'm kinda wondering about the GMZ too! Looks like a relatively simple detector to me, no bells and whistles to fool around with. Only time will tell how good of a detector it is.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#4 iowa hill

iowa hill

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (Paseclipse @ Sep 9 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep you read it right... a GMZ! I always keep an eye out for good deals on detectors and came across this on the Sacramento CA Craigslist. Here's the link-

Craigslist GMZ Ad

I personally don't know anything about the seller nor the status of the GMZ's release. I found the ad and posted it here because I've seen forum members asking about it... Maybe this is your chance to get one? As with any online transactions be carefull, especially on Craigslist.

Del

I know this guy pretty well (well... maybe not THAT well!). I see him in the mirror every morning and he's as honest as the day is sometimes Saturday. The ad is real, the brief review is real, and, if I don't sell it by Monday, I'm going to take it up to my claim and give it a real workout alongside my GM3 and GMT. Gotta say, it is impressive with its light weight and seemingly easy setup. I believe it is at least as sensitive and accurate at gold and non-ferrous detection as either of my other White's machines, though it does not have a ferrous (iron) i.d. feature. Not sure that this is a significant issue unless and until I do some actual tests. Our placer claim is a 30 million-year old tertiary channel with pyrites and some black sands in the bedrock and false bedrock layers. Gold ranges from minus 500 to lima bean-size and larger (can't get enough ot THOSE!).

The mineralization of our ground tends to be tricky, so I tend to dig everything, but am gradually beginning to develop a sense of how each audible tone relates to what I expect to dig. Haven't had enough time with the GMZ to learn its language yet. The GM3 and GMT each have their own dialect.

Anyway, I tend to think that the GMZ is going to prove itself a winner. I have someone coming over tomorrow to look at mine. In a way, I hope they don't buy it. I'm motivated to write a review or two for the treasure mags, then use the hell out of it.

#5 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hey Iowa, if your the seller I already had a forum member contact me about this asking me to email him for you. Here's his profile-

Wiseman

Don't know if you've heard from him yet, but I think he may be interetsed in it.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#6 iowa hill

iowa hill

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Paseclipse @ Sep 11 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Iowa, if your the seller I already had a forum member contact me about this asking me to email him for you. Here's his profile-

Wiseman

Don't know if you've heard from him yet, but I think he may be interetsed in it.

Del

Thanks for the "heads up", Del! As stated before, I'm kinda ambivalent about selling the GMZ because of its potential promise, but I made a commitment and will follow through. I think the GMZ will prove to be a popular and efficient entry level machine for those with less bucks to spend. My curiosity leans towards the newer White's Pulse Induction machines. The Minelab 3000-4000 series machines seem to be efficient in our particular gravels, but my trusty White's GM3 has found some pretty nice gold where a Minelab 3500 with an 18" coil said "B.S.". Any detector is only as good as the skills and understanding of the operator.

But then again, there was my old Kovac's...

#7 coyoteslayer

coyoteslayer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

If you need me to I can test my GPX4000 at your spot it like lima bean size nuggets too innocent0009.gif

#8 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

Iowa and CS, been up in your neck of the woods once to hunt for gold.... didn't know my hand from my a@$ where to start up there since I'm so used to the desert. I do remember how hot the ground was though and my 4000 balanced that out with no problem. I'm one of the guys that feels there is room in this world for PI's and VLF's to peacefully coexist. So trying to compare a PI to a VLF just can't be done because they are two totally different beasts used for different terrain and ground. For nats ass size pickers in moderate ground, my 4000 gets put down and the GMT gets used. However for the deep stuff in heavily mineralized ground, the 4000 is definitaly the way to go! I think a lot of it depends on the soil conditions and the size of the gold your going after. As for the White's PI... only time will tell with that one. I know one thing, it's being marketed as a coin/gold machine and I hunt ONLY gold and meteorites... don't really care about the coins and I tend to use machines specified for this activity.
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#9 iowa hill

iowa hill

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Paseclipse @ Sep 12 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iowa and CS, been up in your neck of the woods once to hunt for gold.... didn't know my hand from my a@$ where to start up there since I'm so used to the desert.(snip)

I have two leesees on our claim, one of whom has a Minelab 3500. He's found some nice pickers in bedrock that wouldn't pass through the screen of our big (old) trommel's former 3/8" screen, which led me to totally rebuild the old trommel with 1/2" screen, and a nugget trap on the discharge end of the trommel barrel. The pyrites and volcanic (andesite) capping on the 30 million-year old Eocene channel of our claim can cause some false readings with my White's GM machines which his PI machine ignored, but you gotta dig to get the signature.

We have over 15,000 yards of old tailings that I'm sure contain plus-3/8" nuggets that passed through the screen of the old trommel, and walnut-size nuggets have been found. I'm seriously considering using our portable trommel to rework some of those tailings that date over 40+ years and offer the benefit of having been pre-classified in size and should wash fairly easily.

Long story short, you gotta know your machine and what it's trying to tell you. Wish I could perfect that thought with my wife!

My brief experience with the new GMZ is that it will give you a distinct and monotone sound when it detects ferrous or non-ferrous targets. No change of pitch or volume; just a solid tone saying: "Dig Here!" The GROUND REJECT and SENSITIVITY controls do a nice job of blanking the ferrous targets, and I believe it will prove itself as competent at finding the minus 100 mesh gold reliably with just a little practice on the part of the operator. I've only tried it out with some 1 pennyweight to 1/6th pennyweight test target nuggets on my lawn (with metal pipe for water and gas underground). I'm still impressed with the performance of a machine that retails for less than $500 and seems to hold its mud against the GMT and GM3. Kinda wish I could try it out in the field, but I have someone coming over today who just might be taking it home.

#10 iowa hill

iowa hill

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (iowa hill @ Sep 12 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have two leesees on our claim, one of whom has a Minelab 3500. (snip)

The GMZ now has a new home. I gave the lady some extensive lessons on how to use this, as well as some time with my trusty old GM3 for comparison. I also threw in a 1 pennyweight nugget to use as a test piece. I hope that she finds more gold than me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users