• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gene

Gene

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Metal detecting,fishing, prospecting, hunting, and picking up rocks that i do not know what they are

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

I was just wondering if there were any known places in Washington state to find meteorites? Or even in Idaho or Oregon, a little driving helps spread the gas wealth around.

#2 moondog

moondog

Silver Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:and Meteorite Hunting

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Gene, There is a couple of links below that are useful. There first is a general short list, go down to the state you interested in, find a meteorite name and copy it. Then travel to the next website The Meteoritical Society, then enter a meteorite name your interested in, then up pops the offical entry, then go to the bottom, and enter meteorites found within XX kilometers of this meteorite, enter a big number, then in the resulting list, go to the google earth icon on the right side of the page and hit it (helps if you have Google Earth running in the background, but it should auto load and run), then the Google Earth will bring you to the spot. Good Luck Hunting!, also remember to GPS and photo every find, and please share the photos of your finds with us. Clifton

http://www.meteorite...ainLocation.htm

http://meteoriticals...FTOKEN=60808520

#3 Jayray

Jayray

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Interests:All things considered...

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Here is the link for the Met Bulletin, where you can search for meteorites in your area. Jason ;)

http://tin.er.usgs.g...eor/metbull.php
---------------------
J.S.
Amateur Meteorite Hunter and Prospector
http://www.meteorseeker.com
meteorseeker@cox.net

#4 VegasRocker

VegasRocker

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Music, Guitars, Meteorite Hunting and Collecting, Metal Detecting, Computers

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Great link Jason!!!

Here's another source I found: Astronomical Research Network
Visit my online Meteorite Hunting Store at:

www.findameteorite.com

#5 freelancer79d

freelancer79d

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite Hunting, Arrowhead Hunting, Fossil Hunting, Rock Hounding.

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

If you send me an email dustin.stober@navy.mil i'll send you a .KML file for Google Earth that has most of the recorded meteorites on it. It also links to the MetBull.
Freelancer79d

aka:
Dustin R. Stober
Lancaster, CA

"Finding What Falls From The Sky By Keeping My Eyes On The Ground"

#6 freelancer79d

freelancer79d

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite Hunting, Arrowhead Hunting, Fossil Hunting, Rock Hounding.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

no takers?

If you send me an email dustin.stober@navy.mil i'll send you a .KML file for Google Earth that has most of the recorded meteorites on it. It also links to the MetBull.

Freelancer79d

aka:
Dustin R. Stober
Lancaster, CA

"Finding What Falls From The Sky By Keeping My Eyes On The Ground"

#7 Gene

Gene

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Metal detecting,fishing, prospecting, hunting, and picking up rocks that i do not know what they are

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the info guys i will put it to good use

#8 klrdeimos

klrdeimos

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys i will put it to good use

Any luck, Gene? I'm also in WA and thinking about beginning the search.

#9 Mike B.

Mike B.

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Meteorites.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hello Gene and Others:

Having lived in Washington State my entire life and spent many man-hours in the field searching for WA meteorites I can report that this area is simply not a good place to find meteorites. There is no question that they are here, but finding them here is exponentially harder than states to the south. The problem with the known meteorite finds in WA (in particular, east of the cascades) is that they probably do not represent strewnfields and are the likely result of massive ice age floods that shaped eastern Washington and deposited meteorites from the ice. You're probably more likely to find a new meteorite than one paired with any of the known Washington irons. If you are prepared to commit many hundreds of man hours to it then I would recommend finding ancient surfaces in far eastern Washington and starting there. Unfortunately, we do not have any large dry lakes or other stranding surfaces. One thing is for certain: a new WA state meteorite would be a historical event! Go for it!

Cheers,

Mike Bandli
www.HistoricMeteorites.com

#10 vengenceismine

vengenceismine

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hello Gene and Others:

Having lived in Washington State my entire life and spent many man-hours in the field searching for WA meteorites I can report that this area is simply not a good place to find meteorites. There is no question that they are here, but finding them here is exponentially harder than states to the south. The problem with the known meteorite finds in WA (in particular, east of the cascades) is that they probably do not represent strewnfields and are the likely result of massive ice age floods that shaped eastern Washington and deposited meteorites from the ice. You're probably more likely to find a new meteorite than one paired with any of the known Washington irons. If you are prepared to commit many hundreds of man hours to it then I would recommend finding ancient surfaces in far eastern Washington and starting there. Unfortunately, we do not have any large dry lakes or other stranding surfaces. One thing is for certain: a new WA state meteorite would be a historical event! Go for it!

Cheers,

Mike Bandli
www.HistoricMeteorites.com

dear mike, good morning and merry christmas, also being a wa st native and raised in wenatchee you may be right about finding metorites. my granddad was a rockhound for decades (1960-1970s) shortly after his death in 1992 i was in their basement and found a box in mama's pantry w/ a treasure trove of goodies to include two metorites (93g & 240g). until now i had no idea what i had. i can guarantee they came from central wa as dad had them labeled w/ location info. one is magnetic and the other has obvious space crystals as you can see two protruding.
you are probably right about the fact that there are not many here as dad spent countless hours searching for rocks and these are the only two i found. (unless my uncle the greedy bast--d made off w/ them) but i doubt it because these were cashed away. thanks for your info. God bless and happy holidays

ic

#11 sarg

sarg

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

I live up the Okanogan and have become interested in hunting minerals and precious metals. I have found an indentation in the wall of the Okanogan and from its size I suspect that it is very possibly a meteroite strike. It is accessable I plan on checking it out in the near future. I was wondering if there were any known sites in Washington.

#12 Rabbit

Rabbit

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Getting feet wet, for GOLD

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

I live up the Okanogan and have become interested in hunting minerals and precious metals. I have found an indentation in the wall of the Okanogan and from its size I suspect that it is very possibly a meteroite strike. It is accessable I plan on checking it out in the near future. I was wondering if there were any known sites in Washington.

Hey Sargent ever find any thing interesting?
Tonasket, Washington, Where even the jackrabbits carry a lunch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users