7 replies to this topic

#1 Florida Guy

Florida Guy

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any promising meteorite sites in south or central Florida? I have a high end metal detector that I use on the beaches here to find shipwreck artifacts and I'm sure it could find meteorites. I have been watching the show "Meteorite Men" and they got me all fired up to go try to find meteorites. Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 GlassJAw667

GlassJAw667

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

Here's one where there are bound to be more around. http://tin.er.usgs.g...ew=0&pnt=Normal table&code=5104

Try the meteoritical bulletin. http://tin.er.usgs.g...or/metbull.php?
www.facebook.com/Glassjaw667

[Rocco] - The other white meat...

#3 Florida Guy

Florida Guy

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link Glassjaw. I Found a meteorite on that site that was discovered in the early 1900's which is only 45 minutes inland from my house. The meteorite has a formal name and it is called "Okeechobee" which is obviously named after the town it was found in. I found coordinates to the location which are (26 degrees 41'N, 80 degrees 48'W). I am not sure if these coordinates are to the town of Okeechobee or the actual location of where the meteorite was found. I am very low tech so I have to figure out how to find these coordinates. I do have a navigation system built into my SUV and I'm wondering if it will let me punch in those coordinates. I also am trying to find out if this meteorite is somewhat rare, if it is , I am going to mount an expedition with my fishing buddy. I have two high end metal detectors and I am thinking that two of us might uncover another piece of the "Okeechobee" meteorite. Thanks again.

#4 freelancer79d

freelancer79d

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite Hunting, Arrowhead Hunting, Fossil Hunting, Rock Hounding.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Send me an email at dustin.stober@navy.miland i'll send you a KML for Google Earth with over 26,000 meteorites from all over the world and a USA specific KML too.

This goes for anyone. just email me.
Freelancer79d

aka:
Dustin R. Stober
Lancaster, CA

"Finding What Falls From The Sky By Keeping My Eyes On The Ground"

#5 Florida Guy

Florida Guy

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Dustin, I'm sending you an email now.

#6 John B.

John B.

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hi Florida Guy

Most all meteorites that were cataloged prior to 1980s the cordinates are to the name sake and NOT the find location which may be many miles off. The best way to find actual location info is check with the classifying lab and or look up the finder or thier heirs and talk to them. Many have stories or details that may assist the hunt. Happy Huntin John B.
WSPA#4 Cleaning Up America One Beep At A Time !!

#7 Florida Guy

Florida Guy

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

Thanks John, thats a great tip. I am going to pursue that angle, I just need to get my research act together. I am a total beginner but I have enthusiasm and that counts for something. Thanks again.

#8 John B.

John B.

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi Florida Guy

Also keep in mind that very very rarely will a meteor stay intact (one piece) on entry. Strewnfields can be many miles long and several miles wide especialy stones :unsure: . There are or were probably many pieces of it out there :whaaaa: . The big question in Florida is how long they last before they turn to rust and dust :angry: . Good Luck !! Happy Huntin John B.
WSPA#4 Cleaning Up America One Beep At A Time !!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users