5 replies to this topic

#1 Trout08

Trout08

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Good morning everybody, I'm new to this forum and prospecting for gold as well and was wondering if someone could help answer a couple questions for me?
Now I've done some exploring around my propspective stream in the "Mother Lode" region of California and dug up what it looks like to me as clayish slate bearing gold flakes that gets considerably hard as it dries. Am I searching in the right spot or do I need to move upstream or such? Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated in advance.
Thanks

#2 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Really not enough info..... explain this: clayish slate bearing gold flakes..... if you are getting gold, I would say you are in the right spot. There are many regions in the mother lode that are composed of slate and slate like rock. Those formations do have intrusive quartz veins that carry gold. Also the slate bedrocks are perfect traps for placer gold. If you are not finding gold, just keep sampling!
El Dorado

#3 Trout08

Trout08

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Really not enough info..... explain this: clayish slate bearing gold flakes..... if you are getting gold, I would say you are in the right spot. There are many regions in the mother lode that are composed of slate and slate like rock. Those formations do have intrusive quartz veins that carry gold. Also the slate bedrocks are perfect traps for placer gold. If you are not finding gold, just keep sampling!

#4 Trout08

Trout08

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Thank you for the response El dorado...I guess I was a little vague in my question, let me try and be more specific. What I guess I am trying to ask is geographically speaking where in relation from where Iam finding this "gold bearing" slate should I look for more of the "coarse" gold with my metal detector? Hopefully that is a little more specific.
Thanks again...

#5 John Hoser Oates

John Hoser Oates

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:mining,detecting,scuba diving,nugget shooting,dredging,raising hell

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

Motherlode produces some extremly hi karat gold from slate in many colors. Merced River is a perfect example. The black slate splits up like a loaf a bread and in between there are great gold vapor depositions AND it also collects moving placer nuggets as well. Ifn' your finding gold and it's payn' DON'T STOP!!! Bigger is not essentially better-WEIGHT is the holy grail-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsupanim

#6 Geo-George

Geo-George

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

If you are not happy with your current findings, move up stream and sample several locations.
When you have run out of pay dirt, come back down stream. Work up and down the stream above your current location.
This is how you may find the source of the gold. Carefully examine the banks on both sides, you may get lucky and discover the source. You may be in the right spot where you are. :brows:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users