17 replies to this topic

#1 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

A while back my friend miner jack called to invite me to go with him to a spot on the Bear river in placer county ca to do some snipeing. after spending most of the morning moving cobbles out of a series of cracks and a small amount of over burden look what I found. this is two days of moving rocks about 2oz This was all on bed rock with a small amount out of over burden. Posted Image

#2 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,609 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

WOWSA.... now that's what I call makin' wages!
El Dorado

#3 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

WOWSA.... now that's what I call makin' wages! Yea but if you spread that out over the last 45 years That's was my best two days ever. But I'm still looking who knows maybe tomorrow is going to be one of those days.

#4 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

There's more to this story my mining buddy Jack ST Dennis continued to work this crack off and on most of that summer his haul was 8-10 1 oz bottles of gold. there was a photo of some the gold in the may/June 2010 Gold prospectors mag page 84 but no story.

#5 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:All types of gold hunting (sluicing, crevassing , sniping, metal detecting)

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I talked to three guys up there doing that. One guy from Oregon and another guy Chris that were each on their own but permanently camping there. And other guy that I think was a tile guy but went mining on weekends. This was at the campground/day use stretch of the river. I think they pulled a lot of gold out of there last year. Probably picked clean. I don't think that part of the bear gets a lot of new gold every year because of the dam upstream.

#6 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

That bar at the day use area is big. No power equipment. And there's a lot of ground there if you snipe and use a sniffer and work real slow and move rocks there's flood gold all the way to bed rock and you might even find some nice pickers. The camp ground area always produces Gold put on the wet suit and start looking nice relaxing way to sped a day and easy access.

#7 finegold

finegold

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

That bar at the day use area is big. No power equipment. And there's a lot of ground there if you snipe and use a sniffer and work real slow and move rocks there's flood gold all the way to bed rock and you might even find some nice pickers. The camp ground area always produces Gold put on the wet suit and start looking nice relaxing way to sped a day and easy access.

Nice place. Close to town (Colfax).

The Oregon guy treated his mining like a real job. Got there before 8 am, and worked till dark, five or six days a week. His average was nowhere near the 2 oz. you got - that was really something.

I have panned there a few times on the big bar, near the campgrounds, and above the campgrounds. Before your find, the best I heard for a single individual, in the last 4 years, was a 1/4 oz in one long day. Your find lets the rest of know that the dream can come true.

Time to go out and hunt it up.

#8 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:All types of gold hunting (sluicing, crevassing , sniping, metal detecting)

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Nice place. Close to town (Colfax).

The Oregon guy treated his mining like a real job. Got there before 8 am, and worked till dark, five or six days a week. His average was nowhere near the 2 oz. you got - that was really something.

I have panned there a few times on the big bar, near the campgrounds, and above the campgrounds. Before your find, the best I heard for a single individual, in the last 4 years, was a 1/4 oz in one long day. Your find lets the rest of know that the dream can come true.

Time to go out and hunt it up.

Yeah, I've gone there about a dozen times and and talked to that guy from Oregon about three times. He worked hard out there. I wonder why he isn't out there this year? I wonder were the Chris guy went, he was camped there pretty much all last summer.

It's funny people on the forum here knowing some of the same people.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you see me out there give me a holler. I usually wear a tan Australian brimmed type hat.

#9 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:11 PM

I went there today, put on the wetsuit and looked over bedrock. Was there 4 hours, in three different places, not a flake. Granted, I'm pretty green. But if you got two oz in two days surely I would have seen SOME sign of gold. A flake at the bottom of a crevice or something. Didn't see squat. Two oz's?

I'd be willing to wager $100 that no one can get 1/4 ounce out of there in one day. I just don't think it's there anymore.

#10 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

I went there today, put on the wetsuit and looked over bedrock. Was there 4 hours, in three different places, not a flake. Granted, I'm pretty green. But if you got two oz in two days surely I would have seen SOME sign of gold. A flake at the bottom of a crevice or something. Didn't see squat. Two oz's?

I'd be willing to wager $100 that no one can get 1/4 ounce out of there in one day. I just don't think it's there anymore. Your right A 1/4 ounce day is rare if not impossible. But Jack and me found all that Gold just below camp site one. Jack was just over at the bear last week and found a little pinch. What methods are you using I find Gold every time Ive been over to the Bear river camp ground. Sometimes I snipe Or use a hand sluice. Its sure funny that every one I talk to over there has Gold.

#11 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,121 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

That is some very nice color you got there and thanks for sharing....

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#12 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Your right A 1/4 ounce day is rare if not impossible. But Jack and me found all that Gold just below camp site one. Jack was just over at the bear last week and found a little pinch. What methods are you using I find Gold every time Ive been over to the Bear river camp ground. Sometimes I snipe Or use a hand sluice. Its sure funny that every one I talk to over there has Gold.

How long ago was it that you found the 2oz? I have a 2" PVC sucker thing I made that I use. Also crevass tools, goggles/snorkel, but I'm pretty new to that and haven't quite got use to the whole underwater thing. I guess I need to commit and just go swimming if want to find anything in the water. How deep were the cobbles you guys cleared off to get to bedrock? Sorry bout the earlier post, guess it's the frustration of going out time after time and not coming back with anything but sore muscles and poison oak! <_<

#13 matt

matt

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

wjbell,
Maybe you should give Mineral Bar a try. Much bigger gold in the American River.
The Bear is mostly known for it's fine gold, although an occasional picker can
show up. I have always had luck heading upstream from the bridge at Mineral Bar.
There is gold up in the banks and also in the river bed cracks. Dig behind the big
boulders also. I learned to pan and sluice there and I don't think I ever had a
pan without at least a flake. But more than anything, have a good time and enjoy
the beautiful area. Good luck.
Cheers,
Matt
I don't carry a test nugget with me, I find one when I get there!

#14 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

wjbell,
Maybe you should give Mineral Bar a try. Much bigger gold in the American River.
The Bear is mostly known for it's fine gold, although an occasional picker can
show up. I have always had luck heading upstream from the bridge at Mineral Bar.
There is gold up in the banks and also in the river bed cracks. Dig behind the big
boulders also. I learned to pan and sluice there and I don't think I ever had a
pan without at least a flake. But more than anything, have a good time and enjoy
the beautiful area. Good luck.
Cheers,
Matt

Thanks matt. I've been to mineral bar. I guess I just need to look harder.

Always good advise to enjoy your time out there, and I do, but it would be nice to find some gold while I'm at it ;)

#15 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Dredging,detecting,scuba diving,kayaking,history,getn'n'trouble

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

:thumbsupanim 2 words--Cracks and Crevices with a pan is the only way man, as you can not move any great amount of material and smarter is mo'better :twocents: John

#16 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

How long ago was it that you found the 2oz? I have a 2" PVC sucker thing I made that I use. Also crevass tools, goggles/snorkel, but I'm pretty new to that and haven't quite got use to the whole underwater thing. I guess I need to commit and just go swimming if want to find anything in the water. How deep were the cobbles you guys cleared off to get to bedrock? Sorry bout the earlier post, guess it's the frustration of going out time after time and not coming back with anything but sore muscles and poison oak! <_<

It was two summers ago. And we moved alot of rock two or 3 feet deep. We followed the bed rock from the rip\rap at the edge out to the middle of the river. There was a guy from the sf bay area that worked the same spot for a week and only had a small pinch. when he left I slide into the same spot. And started fanning the bed rock their was gold showing right where he quit. And it was on. That was my best days ever and Im 64 years old. Do you have a sniffer the gold on the bear is real small you need to work slow. That spot gets hammerd any thing next to a road is worked over time after time. Try the red shack just north of placerville on 49 look for the historic monument on the side of the road. The trail head is right behind the parking area. Its your guess where to try but I head up stream. Its a bit of a hike But some days you will be the only one on the river. Dont Give up But if your thinking of making a living you can make more picking up cans along side of the road.

#17 wjbell

wjbell

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

It was two summers ago. And we moved alot of rock two or 3 feet deep. We followed the bed rock from the rip\rap at the edge out to the middle of the river. There was a guy from the sf bay area that worked the same spot for a week and only had a small pinch. when he left I slide into the same spot. And started fanning the bed rock their was gold showing right where he quit. And it was on. That was my best days ever and Im 64 years old. Do you have a sniffer the gold on the bear is real small you need to work slow. That spot gets hammerd any thing next to a road is worked over time after time. Try the red shack just north of placerville on 49 look for the historic monument on the side of the road. The trail head is right behind the parking area. Its your guess where to try but I head up stream. Its a bit of a hike But some days you will be the only one on the river. Dont Give up But if your thinking of making a living you can make more picking up cans along side of the road.

OK thanks. I thought the south fork was all claimed up in that area but I looked on geo communicator and all the claims are closed. I might try that place.

#18 south fork

south fork

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

OK thanks. I thought the south fork was all claimed up in that area but I looked on geo communicator and all the claims are closed. I might try that place.

There's about 8 miles or so of open ground but its hard walking. I live on the north side on top of the ridge from that spot and you can find color every trip down in there good luck. And watch the water levels they start dumping water on rafting Days The water comes up around 10 am and starts dropping after 3 this time of the year. I normally only work my side in the winter no shade that canyon holds the heat. Go early and stay late take advantage of the shade late in the day on the way out. Once in a while you will find some nice mercury balls loaded with gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users