6 replies to this topic

#1 biggraypig

biggraypig

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

I live in Delta, Utah and would like a few tips on where to go and what to look for when prospecting.
I have been out with the Gold bug 2 and I know if I put it over a nugget it will be mine. I also go out with the pan, but nothing yet. (lots of minerals, geodes, and different ore)
I know there is gold in the area, I just need some tips on what to look for. There is a lot of undiscovered area just waiting for me to get the the gold out of it. I may even pick up a meteorite or two in the process.
Thanks for all the info

#2 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

24 Karat Gold Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:All mining, All rock hounding, All metaldetecting, All history.

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

Biggraypig,
The closest area to you is in the House range in T 19 S , R 14 W in the Amassa valley at Miller Canyon there are some claims, we got permission from the guy in town with the Trilobite mine who knows the lady that owns them, there is also some open ground ,check the county court house with all the recent interest, it may be all claimed by now! it has all burned off recently and is easy detecting but bad roads. I was up there last year. Biggest peice was .2 grams , thats probably average for Utah.

Go to a colledge and read U.S. Geological Survey proffesional Paper 111 in USGS Bulletin # 1357. Around Millford and Beaver is good too but I'll bet it is all claimed up, near Maryvale is the old site of Kimberly which had some recent work last year.
Good Luck
Max

I live in Delta, Utah and would like a few tips on where to go and what to look for when prospecting.
I have been out with the Gold bug 2 and I know if I put it over a nugget it will be mine. I also go out with the pan, but nothing yet. (lots of minerals, geodes, and different ore)
I know there is gold in the area, I just need some tips on what to look for. There is a lot of undiscovered area just waiting for me to get the the gold out of it. I may even pick up a meteorite or two in the process.
Thanks for all the info

#3 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Interests:Dredging,detecting,scuba diving,kayaking,history,getn'n'trouble

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:01 AM

:whoope: I knew you'd come through Max-John :brows:

#4 biggraypig

biggraypig

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Thank you very much for the info.
I have been to Amasea vally on my wheeler a few times, but never run the detector yet. I grew up in Beaver, so I do know the area around there very well. Next free time I get I'm heading west.
Thanks again for the info.

#5 Gilaoro

Gilaoro

24 Karat Gold Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:All mining, All rock hounding, All metaldetecting, All history.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hey John ! Utah ain't got no water deep enought to hold you! :yuk-yuk: Well maybe the San Juan. Utah is a plumb flustrating place to some people! No water in most of it ,then too much and salty! No whiskey. or women. Over where Biggraypig is the gas tankers have to carry a pup trailer so they can get back! If you start from Delta to go to Ely where they have all that stuff that is bad for you and they are out of gas in Borderville and Baker you had better have a back up plan! There is good gold at Sacremento Pass including some big nuggets, some of the people will let you detect if you ask. Met some of them at the coffee shop in Baker. The rest area has a pond and it used to be a wash pit, theres placer everywhere, there's a rumor among a certain group that a 3 OZ was found in this rest area while tuning.

Do you know anything about this area Biggraypig ? The town was called Osecola. We spent a month last May up along the border both in Utah & NV, you got to watch out for Indian land futher N, big Quartz crystals and small gold and they are keeping both!

Good Luck ! You too John!:thumbsupanim

#6 biggraypig

biggraypig

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

I am familiar with Baker, I used to go get kegs there when I was in high school.
I have also heard stories about the gold on the reservation and it's a good way to get shot if you try to get it. Heard it can be found around Ibapah and Gold Hill.
Looks like I will have to head back out to Baker with the detector, maybee pick me up a keg while I am there.
Thanks again I'll let ya know if I find anything.
By the way I have plenty of whiskey and a good woman for a good time.

#7 bigrex

bigrex

Rock Inspector

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunt/Collect gems, minerals, fossils, corundum (sapphires, rubies), trilobites. Nuggetshooting, Computer, music, art, guns etc.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

I'll just add what I have before:

"I've been out to a few places in UT, I always have to recommend the book found at this link: http://goldpanningut...om/default.aspx
...most of the gold in UT is fine as far as size, but it is also fine as far as purity goes as well. You might find a few nuggets in Amasa Valley in the House Range, or on Crescent Creek in the Henry Mountains. Otherwise, the best bet is to sluice or dry wash, usually sluice with the finest gold recovery set-up you can get your hands on. You'll have to go to Nevada for a chance at any sizable nuggets. I think the largest nugget ever found in UT was just shy of eight ounces, but that was in what is now the Bingham Copper Mine pit".

I'm sure you've been up to the House Range, the owner of one claim did show me about five or so nuggets he had found over the years which were quite large for the area, maybe between a half gram and a gram. He lives in Spanish Fork, if you're ever there you can get access to his claim by paying $25 at AM/PM Keys. The Utah Prospector's Assoc. also has access to his claim. The last time I was up there, there is a favorite spot that everyone is digging gold from out of a bank. The gold is pretty consistent there, but you would need someone to point the spot out to you.

I've been to Osceola, there is the potential for much larger nuggets over there, I haven't been there lately though.
Rex B.

Nevada Nugget Hunters Forum

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner, liberty is a well armed lamb protesting the vote" — Ben Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users