7 replies to this topic

#1 kensclark14

kensclark14

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

I'm 14 so I can't really go anywere and I don't really have enough money now for supplys. I live on a hill and there is alot of clay and rocks in the ground. Up on the hill there is a dump of huge rocks. Anywhere you can think of? I live in Springfield, Oregon.

#2 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,145 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

Welcome to the forum! Here is are a couple spots to try for more info on your area

http://home.comcast....hounding_02.pdf

http://www.all-orego...ockhounding.htm

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#3 homefire

homefire

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 5,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Detecting, Panning, Fishing and Other Weird Stuff!

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Do you have a Mineral and Rock book?

This is a start.

http://www.teachers....ocks/links.html

Hit that hill.

Hit your front and back yard.

Find any and all different specimens you can and then try to ID them.

What a hoot.

Do you have any quarries in your area?

All you need for equipment is a Hammer, Bag to collect stuff in and some eye protection if your going to be bashing some rocks.

Get started and you can get the goodies later.

#4 Bedrock Bob

Bedrock Bob

Bush Doctor

• The Banned
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

That is the beauty about this old earth, there are rocks everywhere!

Get yourself a good mineral ID book and start anywhere. Work in identifying the rocks you find in any old spot. Once you have the common minerals and rocks down then you can branch out. Get yourself a strong magnifying glass (10X-20X) and learn how to use it. Before you know it you will be able to identify several rocks and minerals. You will add a new one to your collection often and as you add rocks you will be learning.

And take those chemistry, geology, biology and natural sciences classes in school. Rocks are all about chemistry and a great place to start learning the natural sciences.

And post your finds and questions here on this forum! We are all youngsters at heart and love to help people learn about the subject. Dont be afraid to ask questions and post photos of your rocks. We will help you out as much as we can!

Bedrock Bob
Rock me right.

#5 kensclark14

kensclark14

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thanks! I don't know what it is but there is a big dump of rocks on the hill. Maybe a construction sight dump? But some of it looks natural. And there is a side of a small cliff that I can look at. Oh, and I got the Mineral book.

#6 homefire

homefire

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 5,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Detecting, Panning, Fishing and Other Weird Stuff!

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Good Stuff.

Your on the way.

Posted Image

#7 Bedrock Bob

Bedrock Bob

Bush Doctor

• The Banned
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Ken,

Here is one of my favorite rocks. I used to use it for a door stop and I broke my little toe on it twice. It is "botroytal hematite". I think it looks like a sculpture of a woman. Especially from one side. A good friend of mine gave this rock to me 20 years ago. I have found a lot of very valuable rocks but they arent as special to me as this one and I really dont know why. Maybe it is because it looks so much like a sculpture but it is natural.

[attachment=17048:SAM_0010.JPG]

[attachment=17049:SAM_0012.JPG]

I hope you post a few rock photos here. These guys are boring with their perfect specimens and thier big nuggets and meteorites. Sometimes plain ol' rocks are mighty cool!

Bob
Rock me right.

#8 kensclark14

kensclark14

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

Ken,

Here is one of my favorite rocks. I used to use it for a door stop and I broke my little toe on it twice. It is "botroytal hematite". I think it looks like a sculpture of a woman. Especially from one side. A good friend of mine gave this rock to me 20 years ago. I have found a lot of very valuable rocks but they arent as special to me as this one and I really dont know why. Maybe it is because it looks so much like a sculpture but it is natural.

[attachment=17048:SAM_0010.JPG]

[attachment=17049:SAM_0012.JPG]

I hope you post a few rock photos here. These guys are boring with their perfect specimens and thier big nuggets and meteorites. Sometimes plain ol' rocks are mighty cool!

Bob

Ya, I WAS going to go get agates and petrified wood in a stream with my grandpa but it was borded off and now a factory is using it as a dump....Dang...Atleast I have some petrified wood. Heres a pic, sorry about the bad quality.... Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users