5 replies to this topic

#1 newazhunter

newazhunter

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hey Everyone, I am new to the site and new to meteorite hunting. My 6 year old son is fascinated by meteorites and has 4 meteorites. We went down to the Tucson Gem show and met Geoff of the Meteorite Men TV series and bought a rare earth magnet. I found a map which shows areas where meteorites have been found in AZ. My question is, where is a good place to look for them? I'm not looking for anyone to give away any valuable info, just trying to figure out if more than 1 meteorite has been found in one of these areas on the map. Maybe a strewn field area?
Thanks in advance.

#2 Desertsunburn

Desertsunburn

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:The Desert! Recovery - Preservation - Science of Meteorites. Hunting meteorites. Finding Meteorites. Digging meteorites. Studying Meteorites. Holding Meteorites. Reading about Meteorites. I make thin sections and cut meteorites for classification. I assist others in their meteorite testing and classification needs. I really enjoy doing that. Buying gold and silver!

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Hey Everyone, I am new to the site and new to meteorite hunting. My 6 year old son is fascinated by meteorites and has 4 meteorites. We went down to the Tucson Gem show and met Geoff of the Meteorite Men TV series and bought a rare earth magnet. I found a map which shows areas where meteorites have been found in AZ. My question is, where is a good place to look for them? I'm not looking for anyone to give away any valuable info, just trying to figure out if more than 1 meteorite has been found in one of these areas on the map. Maybe a strewn field area?
Thanks in advance.

Hello newazhunter. You will find lots of good info if you go back through the threads on this list server. In AZ, two of the more popular place to hunt are known strewn fields... Gold Basin and Franconia. There are a few dry lakes and old earth areas that have proved to have meteorites too. What kind of gear do you and your son have? Now-a-days in AZ, I have not heard of anyone finding meteorites on a consistent basis and a lot of luck is the main factor. For me and my wife, it's an enjoyable hobby. Just getting out and hunting is good enough for me. I get a kick out of finding just about anything with my metal detector....except for nickles.
So, get geared up and have some fun!

Jim

Jim Wooddell

I Buy Gold!

#3 Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:Caution: Reading Terry’s posts could cause involuntary evacuation or urination; erections lasting longer than four-hours; you may begin to feel gay or believe you are a lesbian trapped in a mans body; rare instances of satanic worship and animal sacrifice have been reported.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Hello Newazhunter! Hope this helps, and Good Hunting! :thumbsupanim - Terry
AZ_Meteorites_lg.jpg

#4 mt_vertcaver

mt_vertcaver

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Caving, meteorites

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

WOW! That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting that map!

Have one for Montana???? LOL!!!! Nevermind, I intend to start building Montana's this summer. :rolleyes: :thumbsupanim :inocent:
Minelab X-Terra 70

#5 David2

David2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

Thanks in advance.

Good morning. You need to log into the meteoritical bulletin which lists every verified / classified meteorite in the world. In the "places" window type Arizona and all the Arizona meteorites will be listed (108. There is data for every meteorite including total weight. If you download google earth onto your computer, there is a google earth link that will take you to the coordinates of the find as recorded. Not all the coordinates are accurate, especially for finds that are early 1900's or before. Some are not accurate because the finder did not want to report accuracy, just general information. Two documented large strewn fields in AZ are Franconia and Gold Basin in North Western AZ. Thousands of stones have been recovered, but generally you need a metal detector to hunt effectively in these areas. Good luck and have fun.

#6 EdD270

EdD270

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, outdoor sports, meteorite hunting

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

newAZhunter, welcome, glad to see another Arizonan come aboard here.
The first place I suggest you look is the metbull, the Meteoritical Bulletin here: http://www.lpi.usra....eor/metbull.php
You can search by state, or by county in a state, and it will bring up a listing of all known meteorites there. Google Earth has an overlay of impact sites, and the info from the metbul can be pinned to GoggleEarth also. Meteorites are like gold, the best place to look is where they've been found before.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the
forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It
will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users