Photo
- - - - -

Nugget Shooting SoCal.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Nugget Shooting SoCal. (12 member(s) have cast votes)

In the Randsburg area, which location will give the best chance to find a nugget while MD'ing?

1. Last Chance Canyon (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Goler Gulch (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Benson Gulch (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Bonanza Canyon (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Anything and everything outdoors.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I just bought two new gold detectors. A White's GMT and a Fisher Gold Bug Pro. I have found plenty of color while drywashing and panning, but I have never found a nugget with a detector....and I REALLY want to experience that feeling. It doesn't have to be huge, or even big. I just want the feeling of hearing a signal, digging it up, and it being gold.

If I could please get the opinions of the forum members here regarding which area to detect, I would appreciate it. Also, if you have any other area suggestions, please feel free to list them as I am open to all suggestions. Thank you.

#2 Jim Gilmore

Jim Gilmore

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I just bought two new gold detectors. A White's GMT and a Fisher Gold Bug Pro. I have found plenty of color while drywashing and panning, but I have never found a nugget with a detector....and I REALLY want to experience that feeling. It doesn't have to be huge, or even big. I just want the feeling of hearing a signal, digging it up, and it being gold.

If I could please get the opinions of the forum members here regarding which area to detect, I would appreciate it. Also, if you have any other area suggestions, please feel free to list them as I am open to all suggestions. Thank you.

You do know most of those areas are claimed ???? I could give you good directions on where to look in one but you should make sure to join the club that has the claim first....

#3 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, metal detecting for meteorites/gold, drywashing.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Do you want GPS coordinates of places where nuggets have been found too? Naw just kidding, I didn't answer any because they're all good places to go. Jims correct, pretty much every square inch of land in those areas are claimed up though you can metal detect them if you join a few prospecting clubs.

Here's a list of prospecting clubs that have claims in those areas-

Prospectors Club of Southern California (PCSC)
Taft Prospectors
GPAA
OC49er's
Antelope Valley Treasure Hunters Society (AVTHS)

I'd say the fastest route to finding your first nugget is to go back to some of the holes you dug when you were dryashing and detect the hole and tailing piles.

Good luck out there, getting over that first nugget takes time and patience and if you stick with it it will happen.
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#4 fredmason

fredmason

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

"Do you want GPS coordinates of places where nuggets have been found too"...But, Of Course...you can pm them straight to my gps...just teasing my friend Del...

Seriously, Del has given you some great advice...go where you were drywashing and knock down your header and tail piles...check the holes you dug and left unburied...else there would not be header and tail piles and a hole to check...there is a nugget waiting for you...
fred
Fred Mason
WSPA 28

I don't want to lead.
I don't want to follow.
I want to go my own way in peace, if possible.

#5 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thank you for the replies. I don't mind joining prospecting clubs as long as their bylaws are not too over-the-top. I have already joined 2 clubs; the GPAA and Valley Prospectors of San Bernardino. I just have a problem with spending the kind of money some of these clubs want for them to tell me that I cannot bring a friend to prospect with me. I have a bad back and like to bring someone with me to help with the digging. We always use just my equipment. I will check into these clubs.

I live in Barstow and all of my drywashing has been done in the Coolgardie area. Not too sure if there are any "nuggets" to be found in that area. I have however been back to those piles of my drywashing and have come up empty-handed. I refuse to give up though. Thanks again.

#6 Jim Gilmore

Jim Gilmore

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. I don't mind joining prospecting clubs as long as their bylaws are not too over-the-top. I have already joined 2 clubs; the GPAA and Valley Prospectors of San Bernardino. I just have a problem with spending the kind of money some of these clubs want for them to tell me that I cannot bring a friend to prospect with me. I have a bad back and like to bring someone with me to help with the digging. We always use just my equipment. I will check into these clubs.

I live in Barstow and all of my drywashing has been done in the Coolgardie area. Not too sure if there are any "nuggets" to be found in that area. I have however been back to those piles of my drywashing and have come up empty-handed. I refuse to give up though. Thanks again.

Why not have your friend join also ?
Avths is not very expensive I think yearly dues are either 30-40 not sure if there is an initiaion fee...
AVTHS has most of Bonanza Gulch...and that area is decent for both drywashing and nuggets. Though access is not easy unlessn you have a 4 wheel vehicle. Though I can get my rv with in 1000 feet or so of the claim....

#7 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Most of the clubs I've listed are pretty cheap to join, usually $50 or less a year. I believe one or two might have initiation fee's the first year though. So yeah, why not have your friend join too since they're so cheap?

The way I've always looked at paying for a club membership is that I usually spend more money in gas to get to the claims than I do on the yearly membership itself. If you find a gold nugget or two the membership has paid for itself. Not to mention if you decide to go to outings you can learn a lot from experienced prospectors.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#8 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Can someone please tell me how to get in touch with someone at the OC 49er's Club? I would like to try to get my membership started this week without having to wait for the snail-mail delivery method. Is it possible to meet someone from the club and pay for the membership in person and get access immediately to the claims since we are trying to plan a trip to the area this Friday.

#9 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Here's the club websites-

PCSC

Taft Prospectors

GPAA

OC49er's

AVTHS

Chrisman i'm sure you could probaly go to the outing and pay your fees and start prospecting immediately since most clubs don't seem to mind doing this. This is what I had to do to join Taft since they didn't have a website at the time.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#10 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Most of the clubs I've listed are pretty cheap to join, usually $50 or less a year. I believe one or two might have initiation fee's the first year though. So yeah, why not have your friend join too since they're so cheap?

The way I've always looked at paying for a club membership is that I usually spend more money in gas money to get to the claims than I do on the yearly membership itself. If you find a gold nugget or two the membership has paid for itself. Not to mention if you decide to go to outings you can learn a lot from experienced prospectors.

Del

Thank you, Del. I have contacted a few of the clubs and am planning to join them. Unfortunately, money is kind of tight right now so I will have to join them in spurts. I have spoken to my friend regarding joining the clubs, but since he only goes out with me 3 or 4 times a year tops, he feels it is not worth the money for him. I guess I need to find a different friend to take along. LOL.

#11 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

PCSC

Taft Prospectors

GPAA

OC49er's

AVTHS

Chrisman i'm sure you could probaly go to the outing and pay your fees and start prospecting immediately since most clubs don't seem to mind doing this. This is what I had to do to join Taft since they didn't have a website at the time.

Del, Taft was the first club I tried to join, but they are at max membership right now and want to put me on a waiting list. Couldn't really find out much more about the waiting list deal because they don't have much info about it on their site.

Del

#12 jim straight

jim straight

14 Karat Gold Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:My interests are many; but my focus is Epithermal Placers and Stony Meteorites (AKA Aerolites).

I'm sometimes thought to be a "Maverick" as I think out of the established box and come up with new ideas that are sometimes challenged by others.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

The Randsburg Quadrangle is part of a vast area. Most of it has been
well pounded again and again over the last 20 years by very capable
gold detectorsts using top-notch machines... Especially true the last
couple of years. But for anyone who is serious and persistent and
spends time learning his detector and does research, they will be
successful... But everyone, be careful, stay out of "chinese" holes,
keep back from the chollar of any vertical shafts sunk in alluvium.

However, as early as the 1860's and especially true back about 1894
there were litterly hundreds of drywash camps scattered throughout
the greater area; large and primitive machines, however they skimmed
off the cream... But left areas pretty good for nuggethunting...

#13 fredmason

fredmason

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

There are nuggets in the coolgarie placers...even right where everyone camps...low and slow and dig everything...no one ever gets them all...

fred
Fred Mason
WSPA 28

I don't want to lead.
I don't want to follow.
I want to go my own way in peace, if possible.

#14 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

There are nuggets in the coolgarie placers...even right where everyone camps...low and slow and dig everything...no one ever gets them all...

fred

Thanks for bringing a little light to my dark thoughts of Coolgardie, Fred. Looks like I'll be spending a lot more time out there now.

#15 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

PCSC

Taft Prospectors

GPAA

OC49er's

AVTHS

Del

Hi Del,

Okay, so I looked on the OC 49er's site and their next outing is on the 26-27th at the Puppy Feet claim. However, since I am not a member yet, I do not know where this claim is located. I also have not been able to locate any contact info for the club other than the P.O. Box address listed on their site. Why is it so hard to get in touch with these folks? Taft is the same way. I am interested in joining them but their site says they are at full capacity and I will be put on a waiting list. I would like to kn about this "waiting list" but they don't even have as much as a email address for contact info. What to do, what to do?

#16 jim straight

jim straight

14 Karat Gold Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:My interests are many; but my focus is Epithermal Placers and Stony Meteorites (AKA Aerolites).

I'm sometimes thought to be a "Maverick" as I think out of the established box and come up with new ideas that are sometimes challenged by others.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Christman91... You have a White's GMT and Fisher Gold Bug Pro and
are a member of the Valley and GPAA...And live in Barstow... This
should be all you need... check the packet you got when you joined
SB Valley. Also the GPAA chapter contacts... Both have claims in
Coolgardie... Valley goes out there often as does the GPAA Highland
chapter... Coolgardie is just a short trip from Barstow. While
finding a nugget is iffy... drywashing is pretty good as most of
the placer is small... but adds to the "poke" every trip ...

#17 Kaimi

Kaimi

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:Geocaching, metal detecting for gold,hidden caches, and meteorites. Taking pics of the Desert during Sunrise/Sunset is also a passion of mine.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Aloha,

AAAH! Coolgardie! What a beautiful place out in the middle of nowhere. I spent a three day weekend out there awhile back with a group of guys from a local club who invited me along once they heard I was a Hawaiian transplanted in Vegas. We had a great time around the campfire swapping jokes and hunting stories.

Found me a little placer gold when one of the club members took me to a spot and said "Dig here about two feet down". I thought he was jerking me around at first but one of the guys came over and said If I didnt want to dig that spot that he would. The next afternoon after digging a nice deep trench I struck a red streak of gravel that held some fine gold and a couple of pickers. It was a lot of work running my drywasher and I now hunt for meteorites instead, but it was a good experience and a lot of fun. Good luck on the looooong drive out there and remember to take a LOT of water.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi
Ka'imi

Pronounced: Ka-e-me

#18 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hi Del,

Okay, so I looked on the OC 49er's site and their next outing is on the 26-27th at the Puppy Feet claim. However, since I am not a member yet, I do not know where this claim is located. I also have not been able to locate any contact info for the club other than the P.O. Box address listed on their site. Why is it so hard to get in touch with these folks? Taft is the same way. I am interested in joining them but their site says they are at full capacity and I will be put on a waiting list. I would like to kn about this "waiting list" but they don't even have as much as a email address for contact info. What to do, what to do?

Hi Chrisman, well it looks to me like you will have to fill the applications out and send them in via snail mail. Joining prospecting clubs isn't something that happens in a few minutes. Heck I've waited over six months for some clubs to process my paperwork before. If they're at full capacity then sign up and sooner or later you'll get in.

I believe the OC49er's Puppy Feet claim may be out by Duisenburg somewhere so if you go out there that weekend and ask around I'm sure someone could point you in the direction of their outing. I'm willing to bet if you send your application in right now you might get it back by the time the outing comes around. If you don't then go out there and explain to them that you've paid for a membership and are eager to start.

I tend to agree with Jim, if your a member of Valley Prospectors and GPAA then you've got plenty of ground to cover out around Coolgardie. And yes there are detectable nuggets to find out there though the only one's I've ever found were less than a gram in weight. I wish I could say I've found more nuggets there (only two so far) but Coolgardie isn't a place I frequent and I've never put in enough time in out there to really get to know the place.

Del
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

#19 Chris Coffee

Chris Coffee

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Christman91... You have a White's GMT and Fisher Gold Bug Pro and
are a member of the Valley and GPAA...And live in Barstow... This
should be all you need... check the packet you got when you joined
SB Valley. Also the GPAA chapter contacts... Both have claims in
Coolgardie... Valley goes out there often as does the GPAA Highland
chapter... Coolgardie is just a short trip from Barstow. While
finding a nugget is iffy... drywashing is pretty good as most of
the placer is small... but adds to the "poke" every trip ...

Jim,

Thank you. I have been to Goolgardie many times in the 2 months I have been a member of both clubs. I, like many others, have not found anything on the GPAA claims in that area. However, I have yet to be skunked on any of the Valley claims. I have even tried the lonely Avalon claim 5 miles north of the Coolgardie turn off and didn't find a speck.

I was under the impression thatthe individual GPAA chapters don't actually have their own claims, rather, they use the GPAA claims listed in the mining guide. Is this true? My purpose of joining the different groups is to simply gain access to numerous different claims. Thanks again for the help.

#20 Uncle Ron

Uncle Ron

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Interests:NuggetShooting, but it used to be "Younger Women, Older Whiskey"...That's how I stayed this healthy and handsome this long!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

Yo All...For some strange reason, ALL the gold prospecting clubs, with the exception of GPAA, are stuck in 1956, technologically speaking...If they did business online like the rest of the modern world, their memberships would be way up and their operating expenses way down and customer satisfaction greatly enhanced. ... Some folks don't trust the internet, but their concerns are generally based on old technology ... Over the past ten + years, I've probably completed 5,000 transactions online, both buying and selling, with out one single hiccup...There are quite a few clubs I'd like to join, but it's a pain in the butt to go through snail mail and somewhat unprofessional management of membership activities... :twocents: Cheers, Unc
Posted ImageUncle Ron's Custom Arizona Gold Finding Maps for 2014
If you want to cut days, months or even years off of finding that next gold nugget, look only for the nuggets with your name on them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users