• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 csb6772

csb6772

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Nascar, Gold Prospecting, Metal Detecting, and meeting new people with the same interests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

Any help here would be great. I live in Sacramento, CA. not far from the Mother Load.

#2 Dizzy

Dizzy

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

There is loads of good data available via the web. All I did was enter
"Gold bearing Rock identification" in Google and got quite a number of good sites
to review:

http://www.geologynet.com/gpros.htm

http://geology.about...ineralindex.htm

http://nevada-outbac...n/Gold_ores.htm

There are many, many more links that you could read through. FWIW, if I
have learned one thing in life it is that research pays off...

Read, study, then go out in the field and practice what you've learned; then go back
and study some more. Basically, if someone just tells me the answer to a question
I have learned only the information I specifically asked about. If I go dig out the
answer myself, I get the benefit of all that other information that gets read through
while searching for the answer to the original question.

Mike
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolidge

#3 David Wiseman

David Wiseman

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Basically gold will be found in/near it's quartz matrix..the country rock enclosing the quartz may be slate,schist,greenstone,porphry,granodiorite and others depending where your at.Get the mines and minerals report for your county of interest and a very good starter book is Handbook for prospectors by Pearl/or older editions by VonBernewitz which can be bought on the internet in varying prices or loaned/looked at in local libraies.The state library in Sacramento has everything.Field work is your biggest teacher.I'm in Calaveras County just down from you in the motherlode.

#4 csb6772

csb6772

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Nascar, Gold Prospecting, Metal Detecting, and meeting new people with the same interests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

[quote name='David Wiseman' timestamp='1301409196' post='150819']
Basically gold will be found in/near it's quartz matrix..the country rock enclosing the quartz may be slate,schist,greenstone,porphry,granodiorite and others depending where your at.Get the mines and minerals report for your county of interest and a very good starter book is Handbook for prospectors by Pearl/or older editions by VonBernewitz which can be bought on the internet in varying prices or loaned/looked at in local libraies.The state library in Sacramento has everything.Field work is your biggest teacher.I'm in Calaveras County just down from you in the motherlode.

Thank you,
Chris

#5 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

If I were to suggest one book to start with it is Fist Full of Gold by our very own Chris Ralf. Check to see if Bill sells them..
El Dorado

#6 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,135 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

If I were to suggest one book to start with it is Fist Full of Gold by our very own Chris Ralf. Check to see if Bill sells them..

Hi Steve,

I don't sell books much anymore for the most part or I would indeed have it. The book business was a pain with today's shipping costs...

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#7 azblackbird

azblackbird

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Interests:prospecting, riding, shooting, etc., etc.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

I'll second that. :wubu:

No offense to Chris... even though I've read the entire book, every morning when I go to the crapper I take his book and pour through things that specifically apply to my operation. I continually pick up pieces of wisdom here and there that eventually sink in and can be applied out in the field. I also suggest a subscription to the Prospecting and Mining Journal. There is a wealth of information to be had from there too.

#8 Bedrock Bob

Bedrock Bob

Bush Doctor

• The Banned
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

I'll second that. :wubu:

... every morning when I go to the crapper I take his book and pour through things that specifically apply to my operation.

Is there a section in that book on those types of operations?
Rock me right.

#9 Dizzy

Dizzy

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Is there a section in that book on those types of operations?

Posted Image

Mike
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolidge

#10 frank c

frank c

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yeah Bob its in the "Fromunda" chapter :hahaha:
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#11 Ant Man

Ant Man

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Location:Kingdom of Bahrain and/or Walker or San Diego, California
  • Interests:EX WSPA #55
    EX PCSC

Nugget shooting, beach combing, digging big deep holes, enjoying the great outdoors

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I can also add my recommendation for the book Fists Full of Gold.

I also keep mine in the throne room and find something new every time I pick it up.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users