#1 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hi All
I have question on setup of the 4000. In the manual it states that Sensitive Smooth is best for smaller gold and has limited depth. When your in Gen Mode and normal timing, and extra in the mode edit. If you change to smooth does it affect the depth in the same way as Sen/smooth timing? I'm searching an area that has tons of hot rocks and Sen/smooth helps. Or should I just slug through the hot rocks in Extra for the depth? If there is gold there it will be deep. 12" plus.

Thanks.
CH
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

#2 Mike C...

Mike C...

Team Nugget Shooter

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:beepin gold

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

One thing with the 4000 that I learned was it ran smoother with bigger coils it was'nt affected as much by hot rocks and hot ground as a smaller coil is and was still sensitive to small gold-and you can run it even hotter-but keep in mind that when running bigger coils you also increase the chances of picking up more EMI-ftry it you might be surpised at the results :head: Mike C...:ph34r2:

(((((((The Dweller on the Treshhold)))))))

>>>>>>>Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image<<<<<<<

#3 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,016 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:28 AM

When you are using General and Normal the settings for sensitive will not work unless set to sensitive... I think that is what you are asking.

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#4 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi Guys
Bill yeah I guess that is what I'm asking? I have been using the General mode, Timing normal. Whit the menue setting in extra. If I change it to to smooth, does that smooth setting effect the depth? From what your saying it does not matter what the sensitive, custom setting in the menue, mode edit is set to it does not effect the detector in normal timings right? So if I under stand this smooth/extra only works in Sensitive timings?
I been using my 9x14 NF adv and a 12x15 commander mono. these the largest coils I have. I'm thinking an 18" NF SL maybe a good investment?
Thanks
CH
Thomas Jefferson

#5 Mike C...

Mike C...

Team Nugget Shooter

• Premium Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

Try a 14 round mono---its a perfest size coil with plenty of punch and is still sensitive to small gold :thumbsupanim Mike C...PS you will lose depth in smooth but it will enable you to work them real hot areas as well...

#6 Colorado Oro

Colorado Oro

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi MikeC
I have a 14" orange Coiltek. I have never used it. I have been using the Commqander and the Nugget Finder. I have found some really small gold with that big old heavy commander coil. I'll give it a shot with the 14" Coiltek. It is kind of ugly, but I don't care if it will find the gold :thumbsupanim
Thanks
CH
Thomas Jefferson

#7 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,016 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hi Guys
Bill yeah I guess that is what I'm asking? I have been using the General mode, Timing normal. Whit the menue setting in extra. If I change it to to smooth, does that smooth setting effect the depth? From what your saying it does not matter what the sensitive, custom setting in the menue, mode edit is set to it does not effect the detector in normal timings right? So if I under stand this smooth/extra only works in Sensitive timings?
I been using my 9x14 NF adv and a 12x15 commander mono. these the largest coils I have. I'm thinking an 18" NF SL maybe a good investment?
Thanks
CH

Yes CH that is correct and Jason has also made a good suggestion...

The DD coil can be a real important tool under the right conditions and I also use DDs quite often especially with the GPX series in which improvements have been made to allow for better response, sensitivity, and depth with these coils. If one is in an area where a Mono is not working as desired slap on a DD it just may surprise you...

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#8 Mike C...

Mike C...

Team Nugget Shooter

• Premium Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

The DD coil can be a real important tool under the right conditions and I also use DDs quite often especially with the GPX series in which improvements have been made to allow for better response, sensitivity, and depth with these coils. If one is in an area where a Mono is not working as desired slap on a DD it just may surprise you...

I have'nt been in a area yet with the 5000 where there was a need for a DD coil-With a mono and the right settings it just purrs through it :head: Mike C...:ph34r2:

#9 Mike C...

Mike C...

Team Nugget Shooter

• Premium Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'm just a spring chicken to detecting compared to Bill and Mike (so take my suggestion with a grain of salt), but my preference when I detect areas with hot rocks bad enough to consider using Sensitive Smooth is to take off the mono and use a DD instead and use Sensitive Extra and then kick the stabilizer and rxgain down a few notches. You can still find some pretty small stuff, but it goes a lot deeper for me than running smooth with a mono. It usually works fairly well in all but the most bad ground for me. I did some tests with smooth and it takes way way too much depth off for my liking unless I'm in shallow ground then I'll run enhanced or smooth. I dunno, worth a try maybe.

Hi Jason the 4000 does'nt have a stablizer which is a great feature found on the next generation GPX's but good info as well :thumbsupanim Mike C...:ph34r2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users