Dakota Slim

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting & Fishing

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:25 AM

Museum: Rare coin may be Roman brothel token

LONDON (AP) -- The Museum of London is displaying a coin found by the River Thames that may have been used nearly 2,000 years ago as a "brothel token" in Roman London.

The bronze coin shows a man and woman in an intimate embrace.

Senior curator Caroline McDonald said Thursday it is impossible to determine precisely what the coin was used for.

She says it is probable brothels existed in London when the coin was in circulation after the Roman invasion of Britain in the 1st Century A.D.

Experts believe the coin was concealed by mud along the river banks for some 2,000 years before it was discovered recently by a man with a metal detector looking for objects near Putney Bridge.

Dakota Slim & Nugget

#2 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hope Bill's not offended with this photo. :hide: A liitle skin can't hurt anyone, can it? :rolleyes:

brothelcoin_244x183.jpg

Steve

#3 Dakota Slim

Dakota Slim

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting & Fishing

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Steve. I kinda wanted to see a photo of the token but the article I read didn't show it and I didn't have the time or ambition to search for it. I think Bill will probably let this one slide.
Dakota Slim & Nugget

#4 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

Slim-

I've seen much worse on TV. :hmmmmm: At least the token shows a man and a women and not the you know whats.... :tisk-tisk:

Steve

#5 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,044 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

Interesting find.... Those old brothel tokens are a rare find here in the Southwest as well and can be worth quite a bit!

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#6 kuger

kuger

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Interesting find.... Those old brothel tokens are a rare find here in the Southwest as well and can be worth quite a bit!

%99 of all "brothel tokens",that surface in the U.S. are fantasy pieces.....I only know of a few that are(were) the real deal....and yea,they are rare!!

An interesting piece I have seen several of now dug are Large Cents,with the "E",replaced with a "U",the examples I have seen are expertly done,it has been said they were possibly of "Brothel",use,but I have seen no evidence to support that theory

#7 Bedrock Bob

Bedrock Bob

Bush Doctor

• The Banned
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Mildred had tokens in Silver City, Deming, Roswell and Ketchikan Alaska. She used them just like the chickens at the "Chicken Ranch" in LA Grange, Texas. Since a lot of patrons traded for the services and had no money to part with it made sense.

I have seen tokens in the museum in Hillsboro for the "Orchard Hotel". While it was a legitimate hotel it was also a brothel and I would imagine quite a few were used to pay the "hourly rate" at the Hotel. While they werent actually nookie nickels there just had to have been a lot of tokens that were used in that way or in a similar fashion.

Yeah, they would probably be worth a lot of money to a collector.
Rock me right.

#8 kuger

kuger

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

One of these fantasy tokens is the Banana Ranch...which was a real brothel.I have several of these tokens,and have sen them go for BIG money.Problem is a local Antique dealer had them made in the 1970's and sold em for 50 cents.......I could go on and on,I know of three different ones from Virginia City Nev. and at least four from Virginia City Mont.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users