Photo
- - - - -

Best coil for detecting mass of Au coins up to 4 ft deep?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Avatar

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hello fellow treasure hunters,

I am researching a site in Arizona and one in California that indicates that an iron metal strapped, oak wood box full of au coins may be buried there likely 1-4 feet deep. I have a MineLab 4500.

My Questions are: What coil should I use to get to the max depth of 4 feet and what program settings would you recommend? I have a MineLab 12 x15 Mono and a 12 x 15 DD.

I was wondering if a larger diameter coil might be better. In most places, there are mesquite bushes that are difficult to search around and there are hot rocks in sandy soil in many places. I was thinking maybe an 18" or a 25". However, I am open to suggestions. I do not want to guess. Coils are expensive. But the expense would be justified if it located the strongbox.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the carbon coils sold by Link Technologies in AUS?

MineLab recommends the 18' commander mono.

Thanks,

#2 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,964 posts
  • Interests:gold-gold-gold

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Avatar you have a good machine....mine is a 4000 and I have a Nugget Finder 25" mono round....I can lay a piece

of lead about 3" square on the ground and pick it up at 6 feet....I wouldn't go with anything less even if you have to

do a little brush clearing....use a gas weed eater with a saw blade on the cutting end....makes quick work of Mesquite

and other small bushes.....and DON'T HAVE ANY METAL ON YOU.......look at the lace holes on your boots...if their

metal change boots.....

I run my 25" with the machine set at Deep....Gain 15(if possible).....Very slow.....play with the settings and get the best

one for the area.....take pics of the recovery.....good luck....

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

IN GOD WE TRUST

Never squat while wearing your spurs

Never leave the house naked....always carry!!!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

#3 Avatar

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Garimpo,

Thanks,

I have spent some time in Brazil. Up all the coastal cities fom Rio and a trip offshore to a drilling rig 100 miles off the mouth of the Amazon. Scary helo ride from Amapa. Stayed at the old Amapa barracks, signed the wall.

Brazil has no doubt the most beautiful women in the world.

#4 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,964 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:33 AM

Morning Avatar....just yesterday I was thinking about you and your treasure....just want to add that since everything involved
is basically the same such as time to hunt....drive time....fuel expenses.....clearing the area you might as well give it your
best shot the first time around.....by that I mean use a 25" NF mono coil.....if you use anything less and don't find anything
you'll always wonder if maybe another foot or two of depth would have made a big difference.....

Keep us posted with pics if possible.....

IN GOD WE TRUST

A GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

#5 Avatar

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Garimpo,

Thank you for the reply.

I am saving my pennies. I will be getting the 25" NF plus a carbon fiber lower and upper shaft. Also, I found a pair of non-metallic boots to wear.

Now, if I can get the treasure ghosts to help, I will be all set. It is a bit nippy to go out right now. The nut that holds the detector up gets too cold to operate properly.

#6 nvchris

nvchris

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Don't wait! Use that 12x15 (in the meantime) it will hit on a tin can @ 4'

Any coil 14" larger will work for you if the depth and size of target is what you say.

I have used a NF 25", The main thing like Don says is clear the ground. And get rid of every bit of metal on you!!

Another option is "The Mother Ship" by Coiltek @ 20 x 40 it's best suited as a drag coil.

The Carbon Coils sold through Link are not as sensitive as NF according to some users in Australia.

FYI shipping from Oz would be around $150

There is some debate as to the use of carbon as a coil housing.

One thing I have learned in treasure hunting is the "site" is usually hidden from view.

Best of luck!

Chris

Chris Porter,

President  WesternStates Prospecting Association 
WSPA member 106

detectoraid.com

#7 Avatar

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

I have had dinner at Dos Amigos in Winnemucca and I have been to downtown metropolitan Imlay but not the RyePatch.

Are you referring to the 12 x 15 mono or DD?

These sites have hidden the TH for over 150 years. It has taken me about 2 + years to reseach their location down to a reasonable search area.These robbers seem to never stash their goodies on level ground.

Why they are atttracted to 30 degree slopes is beyond me. But, then again, I know of one other possible location that that is in sight of a sheriff's office. So I guess maybe level land is not all that good. (I will pass on that one.)

Are there any shops that rent out backpacking mountain goats?

Thanks for info on AUS coils. I had no idea that shipping would be so much. Not a lot of info out about carbon coil performance. I have read a lot of good about the 25" RM NF though. Hope the snakes don't mind me chopping down their shade. Maybe if I bump the bush and say "Shoo Snake"?

#8 wonderer

wonderer

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hope the snakes don't mind me chopping down their shade. Maybe if I bump the bush and say "Shoo Snake"?

Might work unless its a green mohove, then Avatar better be quick. :hahaha: & have snake guards/boots/chaps + a gun with snake shot !

wonderer
Gold has no value until it comes out of the mountain.

#9 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,964 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

Chris what is the story here:The Carbon Coils sold through Link are not as sensitive as NF according to some users in Australia....I haven't heard anything about the carbon coils...

IN GOD WE TRUST

#10 nvchris

nvchris

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sorry about the tardy response I just forgot about this topic..

Use the mono (12x15) for the best depth.

A large deep target will give a wide response, if its at the limit of detection it may sound like an a patch of ground noise.
Just remember that a true metallic target will get louder as you get closer. While a ground noise tends to say the same or fade.

Browse the Aussie forums Don, I forget which one the topic was on.

As you know, carbon fiber is both conductive and restive. So its use in coils has been limited to shielding. The "carbon coils" the windings are in a CF tube. So the debate is how this effects the performance. He has made some huge coils tho 36" and larger. And I think will make custom sizes.

I would get in touch with our US coil builder razorbackcoils.com and see if Jason can make a custom coil to size.
Another option would be Accurate Locaters drag coils. Ive seen them demoed and know they will hit deep targets.

Last check with AZO the 25's were on backorder and have had a price increase. MAP is $609.00 I might have a line on a used one.
So get a quote then try me last :)

Chris Porter,

WSPA member 106

detectoraid.com

#11 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

I have been to downtown metropolitan Imlay.

No offense but I would like to know where that is.. :rolleyes:

Steve

#12 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,168 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Chris is indeed correct and you should check out the Coiltek line of deep seeking coils as well....

Posted Image

And here is a 14 x 24

Posted Image

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#13 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,964 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

The UFO mother ship is a 12x24 mono coil and I found a 80 gr. and about six feet further a 82 gr both at just over
four feet deep.....

That 14x24 should be a deep momma.....

IN GOD WE TRUST

#14 nvchris

nvchris

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Steve,
Imlay NV is just down the road from Puckerbush. Or about halfway between Lovelock and Winnemucca.

Don,
The UFO and the Mother ship are two different coils, 12x24 for the UFO and 20x40 for the Mothership.
One Point on the Mother ship, if you want to drag one behind a quad then get the DD or AI version to eliminate EMI from the ignition system.

Big round coils will out preform elliptical of similar surface area.

I made my mother ship mountable to the detecters shaft it's a bear to swing!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chris Porter,

WSPA member 106

detectoraid.com

#15 Bill Southern

Bill Southern

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 10,168 posts
  • Interests:Nugget Shooting, Gold Prospecting, Harley Riding, Chicken Ranching, and Gardening with too many more to list...

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

I just got word that the UFO and Mini UFO are now discontinued, but some of the Mini UFO are still available....

Don't think too much, you'll create a problem that wasn't even there in the first place.

Be Sure To See Nugget Shooter For all your MINELAB, COILTEK and other Metal detecting needs!

"A detector sitting in a closet only finds dust..." Jim Straight

#16 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • 6,638 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Dang Chris... you must be using a hip stick to hold up your hip stick to swing that mutha ship....
El Dorado

#17 Avatar

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks All,

Had to postpone a bit..........kidney stone. ER did not tell me that the bill would finance a new wing at hospital. $ 1000 for ambulance, 3000 for CAT scan, etc!

I will likely go for NF 25 rd mono when I recover from bill shock. Am investigating new ways to make baloney sandwiches.

My thanks to all. I deeply appreciate all the info and effort.

#18 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,964 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

Bologna sandwich: Wheat or Rye bread.....lots of mayonnaise with several drops of Mustard....fresh Bologna or even better

if grilled or fried.....heaps of Lettuce....slices of Sweet Pickle.....topped off with a 1/2 inch slice of sweet Red Onion....yum yum

Good choice on the NF 25" mono....remember no metal any where on your body and that includes boot

eyelets....

IN GOD WE TRUST

#19 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • Interests:Dredging,detecting,scuba diving,kayaking,history,getn'n'trouble

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'll take the great ol'Fisher Gemini 2 double boxer or the RIGHTEOUS Whites TM series treasuremaster ,again dual antena. The Whites unit also has the fantastic ability to find VOIDS--as in collapsed caves,treasure chests,containers fulla goodies and on and on. Costs pennies on the dollar in comparison,goes deeper, and void detection is priceless- :wubu: tons a au 2 u 2-John

#20 MacGump

MacGump

14 Karat Gold Member

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Gold,Beer,Quiet Freinds---any combination thereof.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'll take the great ol'Fisher Gemini 2 double boxer or the RIGHTEOUS Whites TM series treasuremaster ,again dual antena. The Whites unit also has the fantastic ability to find VOIDS--as in collapsed caves,treasure chests,containers fulla goodies and on and on. Costs pennies on the dollar in comparison,goes deeper, and void detection is priceless- :wubu: tons a au 2 u 2-John

I like your way of thinking. Use the two box--dig a big ol' hole and then use a stick detector to clean it out.

If I'm not mistaking, Allen from Montana has a White's two box for sale at a very sweet price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users