Photo
- - - - -

Strange rock found on shores of Lake Erie.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HopperJon

HopperJon

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hello everyone.

I am an avid amateur astronomer but due to financial limitations I haven't really had much time or money to expand my experiences into meteor hunting.

I have however stumbled across this strange rock on the shores of Lake Erie. It came out of the lake, as you can tell by the smooth rock. I'm not sure what to make of it.

If it's a meteorite, what kind? If it's not, how did it form?

After I found your forums , I knew the poeple here would have the experience to be able to provide me with some much needed insight.

Pictures are below, and I can take more if need be. Thank you in advance for your time !!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-25 16.06.25.jpg
  • 2012-03-25 16.07.01.jpg

#2 oredigger62

oredigger62

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to geology or having a geologic base...from rock collecting to gold prospecting to meteorite hunting. Gold , Guns , and Gems. I am also an inventor . If it's on or in the ground i am interested. see me on facebook at : lewismiller62@yahoo.com

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hello Jon ,
I don't have a real answer for you but ... ( and there's always a but ) . Anyway , i have found quite a few of these on the shores here from the Vermilion pint are all the way east to Erie. I have showed them many times and all i got was " it was ore that was lost during the many ships that sank in the lake over the years". They always say that these ore boats didnt have valuable enough payload to recover ( cost efficiency ). Personally i am not convinced that this is a valid explanation for these rocks but the best i was able to come up with. Wish you would have found one of the wooden barrels of whiskey that washes ashore from time to time ...Have a great Easter !!!

#3 Johnno

Johnno

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

G'Day Jon
Welcome to the forum. Now this is a tough one. You can go in all areas on this one. So let's just start off forgetting the meteorite possibility. There has been some meteorites that are paleo-meteorites that have been deposit in ancient river beds. I'm afraid looking at this, I give that a -1.

Plus you've stated you got it from Lake Erie, that's scary (just a joke) I would like to see a close up of the actual water worn host rock, as well as a close up of the metallic inclusion to at least give me a better idea of what I need to BS about.

But Lake Erie was a prominent shipping lane, all sorts of weird and wonderful concoctions were arranged. So possibly you've found some sort of anchor come bolt system used in those early days on the Erie.

But as I said, post some more photos

Cheers,
Johnno

John L. Cabassi

IMCA# 2125

http://www.MeteoriteJunction.com

http://www.facebook....MeteoriteJohnno

If you don't like geology then upper Jurassic!

#4 Rimshot

Rimshot

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 2,595 posts
  • Interests:Target practice, gardening, enjoy taking pictures of wildlife, fixing up my property, and love to bs with friends.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hello Jon ,
I don't have a real answer for you but ... ( and there's always a but ) . Anyway , i have found quite a few of these on the shores here from the Vermilion pint are all the way east to Erie. I have showed them many times and all i got was " it was ore that was lost during the many ships that sank in the lake over the years". They always say that these ore boats didnt have valuable enough payload to recover ( cost efficiency ). Personally i am not convinced that this is a valid explanation for these rocks but the best i was able to come up with. Wish you would have found one of the wooden barrels of whiskey that washes ashore from time to time ...Have a great Easter !!!

Do you have a picture of the rough version Ore? Just curious.

Rim

#5 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

So possibly you've found some sort of anchor come bolt system used in those early days on the Erie.

But as I said, post some more photos

Cheers,
Johnno

Exactly my thoughts

Steve

#6 SGTFDA

SGTFDA

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Treasure hunting, Guns, Gemology, Guns, History, Prospecting

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Jon
I've done my share of Erie shore detecting. Looks like ore to me. In the past I've also found zinc nuggets in the surf line. I still have a bag full. Perhaps i should plant some in one of the patches. That would stir up some crap. There is a lot of stuff rolling around that lake bottom. My cousin found a gold coin sticking up out of the sand. $70000 was the offer for it.
Frank D Augustine
WSPA #15

The two greatest disappointments in life. One is not getting what you want and the other is getting it!

#7 SGTFDA

SGTFDA

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • Interests:Treasure hunting, Guns, Gemology, Guns, History, Prospecting

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Ore might not be the right word. A lot of that stuff was pre melted into chunks like that.
Frank D Augustine
WSPA #15

The two greatest disappointments in life. One is not getting what you want and the other is getting it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users