#1 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts
  • Interests:Dredging,detecting,scuba diving,kayaking,history,getn'n'trouble

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

One of the simpliest and best jets ever made was the old couple jet by gold divers(RIP) and this is a homie jet that is much easier/cheaper to fab and parts from your local hardware store easily obtained. May your box run golden and tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Attached Thumbnails

• INFINITY JET 1.JPG
  • INFINITY 2.JPG

#2 Sgt. Dookie

Sgt. Dookie

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, fishing, camping, panning, hiking.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

You mind explaining what this is used for? Its foreign to people like me :)

#3 Au Seeker

Au Seeker

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

You mind explaining what this is used for? Its foreign to people like me :)

It's for dredging, it would be in place of a normal powerjet like the one in this picture to create the suction.

Attached Thumbnails

• PJ25.jpg

God, Family, Friends, and Gold

Skip P.

#4 Gelmac2

Gelmac2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Not much explanations to novices eh ? a few more details could be useful . Thanks

PS : I know this thread is old , reviving it could be of help for some one .

#5 Gelmac2

Gelmac2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

John, does this design has anything to do with your former business (PESCO) you keep talkin about ? Just curious . ;)

#6 Geo2

Geo2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

There is a guy called "Glen Oates" who used to build Infinity jets. Don't know if he still on it or not. I hope if he reads this he would chime in as he is quite knowledgeable about the subject of Infinity/couple jets.

Last time I heard he was in Alaska.

#7 Geo2

Geo2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hey John, I have some questions about Infinity jets. Can I use a regular semi trash/clean water pump? or this do not work and needs a pressure pump? I read all the time that for dredges you need a pressure pump as trash pumps are low on pressure. Pardon my questions as the dredging thing is new to me.

Thanks

#8 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:41 AM

Infinity jets were built by Gold Divers in Moundhouse east of Carson City and copied by many. I made at PESCO the flaired,pressure chamber fed tri-jet to easily rival the couple jet. Another tri jet,non chambered and not flaired was made by Dahlke for many years prior to Bobs passing RIP as a GREAT person,engineer,manufacturer and father. The good thing about the original"Couple-jet" from Gold Divers was that it was adjustable induction so you could use various model pump configurations to "tune" your suction. Huge differences between a  2 x 2" pump and a 2.5 x 2 or 3 x 3" in both psi/gpm and then throw in engine configurations and suction varies widely by up to 50%,a real gas saver but EXPENSIVE to get there-John

#9 middleforkminer2

middleforkminer2

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive...

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

OK....it took me a few minutes before I finally grasped the concept, but it is interesting. It seems like it might be pretty time consuming for a DIY type to get it set up for good suction but once done, it would be great for portability as compared to a power jet...especially for  the larger sized dredges...the more I think about it, the more I like the idea...lots of possibilities. 

#10 Steel Pan

Steel Pan

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,935 posts
  • Interests:Anything that will get me out of the house.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

Infinity jets were built by Gold Divers in Moundhouse east of Carson City and copied by many. I made at PESCO the flaired,pressure chamber fed tri-jet to easily rival the couple jet. Another tri jet,non chambered and not flaired was made by Dahlke for many years prior to Bobs passing RIP as a GREAT person,engineer,manufacturer and father. The good thing about the original"Couple-jet" from Gold Divers was that it was adjustable induction so you could use various model pump configurations to "tune" your suction. Huge differences between a  2 x 2" pump and a 2.5 x 2 or 3 x 3" in both psi/gpm and then throw in engine configurations and suction varies widely by up to 50%,a real gas saver but EXPENSIVE to get there-John

John, ya think it would work O.K. with my gravity system?

I can't see why not, I normally use a 3" nozzle.

G-pa made me do it, he gave me my first "Steel" pan.

#11 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:01 AM

As a rule of thumb gravity systems do not generate enough head/psi to run a jet. As a suction unit fine but run a jet not so fine BUT I haven't seen stats on your setup. I just suck'm up and use a sluicebox with no jet and let gravity do the rest.John-John

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1187.jpg

#12 Geo2

Geo2

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks John . From what you explained , it is economical to incorporate into the dredge but very expensive to build by the home builder, right ? Again , I want to just know if it can be run by a regular low pressure (clean water) pump or not.

#13 TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Recreational gold prospecting, Metal fabrication, Power generation.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:22 AM

Thanks John . From what you explained , it is economical to incorporate into the dredge but very expensive to build by the home builder, right ? Again , I want to just know if it can be run by a regular low pressure (clean water) pump or not.

It's expensive to build at home unless you have some equipment to work with. Then it's just time consuming. From the research I've done on this type of nozzle, It's the best design for use use with a dredge. It offers higher suction, can move more material and works well off a low pressure high volume pump such as a "trash pump." They do not like high pressure, but do like high volume, this makes it perfect for a "trash pump." Even though you can run a traditional suction nozzle off a trash pump, a dredge pump is a better choice with a standard nozzle. In my opinion, if you have the option of an I-jet with a trash pump or a Dredge pump with a standard dredge nozzle, the I-Jet is the way to go. The pumps are cheaper and more readily available, you can move almost 3 times as much product for the same gas spent running and if you can get a working nozzle, you'll have almost 1/3 the start up cost. I looked at it like this, a standard pump and nozzle you might have I'm guessing $1000-$1800 in it, if you had let's say $500 in a I-Jet nozzle and picked up a 190 GPM Pacer pump off Craigslist for $100-$300, then a few hoses, you'd have less than 1/2 the cost of a standard set-up and be able to move 3 times as much material. My goal is to get a working 3 inch nozzle, if that works I plan to build a 2 inch and 4 inch to sell to buy more equipment. below are some pictures of my work in progres. 

20150523 044808
20140814 145753

#14 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

Bob Dahlke made what he refered to as a mid jet to remove some of the turbidity by putting a tri jet about 4' away from the box. Only problem was a mini without the long metal tube didn't create a good pull as with a curved hose you just drill a hole in hoses and ruin the feed. FEEDIN is most important as anytime you straight feed into anything that makes a deadend crash your losing about 18-22% of your inertia. Feed into a circle,same as any decent pump,I never use trash pumps as not enough psi/gpm for my needs. On a hibanker with rigid hose ,sometimes, but again I always like more power than needed just in case,which constantly happens when running air,longer suction hoses and blaster nozzles. John

#15 TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

I'm going to feed a 2 inch pressure inlet into the 4 inch section at 90* that surrounds the 3 inch inlet pipe. The bottom pipe is where I'm going to cut and weld my elbow to, the top of the outer cone is going to get a 3 inch pipe welded to it and add a hose to go to the sluice/highbanker. 

#16 TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

Finished prototype after 30 minutes of use, it sucks...I mean it REALLY SUCKS...

I didn't have a 3 inch hose on the outlet of the nozzle, but when I placed the outlet down into the pond it started sucking like crazy. It sucked a hole in the hard packed gravel bottom of the water crossing we drive the carriage horses though in just a second or two. I think we have a winner!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150608_175007 resized.jpg

#17 Swampstomper Al

Swampstomper Al

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Metal detectin', Sluicin', Pannin', Guitar pickin', Motorcycle ridin'..

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

Here's hoping it works that well completely set up..!  :thumbsupanim

SA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users