• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 rockhunter1620

rockhunter1620

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Gold(& meteorites), Guns, Guitars, and Girls! (can I call this a 4-G network?)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hey fellers, to begin with, I don't have enough in my vile to get a decent up-close photo, plus, I've figured out really quick that I need another classifier, and i'm figurin somewhere b'tween a 30 & 50 mesh. I've made only 2 visits to this new creek thats about a 2hr. drive from my house. Both visits were late starts and left the location b'fore sundown. Total time spent at location, approx. 5hrs. each day. Tomorrow will be a 16hr. visit, (sun-up to sun-down).6.jpg After a good amount of research through the Mi. Geological Survey, I foud this creek cuttin right through the tallest, longest, and one of the oldest, course/rough till, glacial morains in southern MI. This morain is composed of granite and pre-cambrian basalt as well as many difff. metamophic amphibolite and gneiss boulders, rocks, and gravels, as opposed to morains composed, mostly of fine-grained silica and limestone sands.1.jpg 2.jpg The creek, as the crow flies is just under a mile long, but in linear length, from the road to main river, it's 2 miles.The morain is "C" shaped and it's about 30mi. long and about 4 mi. at it's widest point at about 1/2 it's length. The surrounding terrain is about 820ft. above sea-level, the creek bed is in a steep sided ravine and is at about 750ft. above sea-level. So from the car to the ravine is about 400yrds. Then one needs to climb down this steep slope about 50ft. or so b'fore you can again, walk without havin to hold onto trees and stuff to just keep yer balance. And this creek is (1) NOT a designated trout stream and (2) is smack-dab in the middle of an extremely large state game area, not a rec. area or state park where rec. panning is limmited or right-out prohibited. So I think I'm good to go, but where exactly does the DNR draw the line b'tween recreational pannin and all-out placer deposit minning? And, do I even care? anyways, on my first visit, without my MD, I dug a couple holes in the creekbed, classified a bucket of material down to sand using just a "2 mesh" and a spagetti strainer, then panned the sands out and found nothing but a couple nice little corral fossils and a golfball sized piece of rose quartz. Packed up, went home, did a little more google earth sat image lookin, and made my 2nd. visit to this creek a little further down stream than the first visit, again ariving much later than would have liked or ment, anyways.(Oh, and the pics so far, are of that 2nd. spot). Had my F-75 w/a 15in. & a 5in. coil with me. The 15in. to scan and map the higher mieralized soil areas of the creek bed,(and this should go without sayin, but on a wide, sweeping curve in this creek where the outside is kinda deep and movin fast, & the inside is a dry gravely bench right up to the bank where you can tell that at some point in the past, water levels were as much as 3ft. but today it's just a dry gravely bench).3.jpg 7.jpg 10.jpg And the 5in. to scan my gravel tailings after all the classifin.So, I have in a small vile, after diggin about a ft. down behind 2 smaller (large rocks,200-300lbs. I'm guessin) 100's of microscopic shiny yellow metal specles mixed with microscopic magnatite & quartz particles that I can't seem to get separated by just pannin. But tomorrow I will be hitttin this place hard, all freakin day, and I have started me a savings jar just fer the angus mac kirk and the 30 mesh I definitely need.(things worth havin, are worth waitin for)!! Brothers, I do believe I'm gonna have a great summer. And as soon as I have enough gold to decently photograph, ya'll will be the first to see it!...RH
Good men learn to conquer others, Great men learn to conquer themselves!

#2 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Interests:gold-gold-gold

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hang in there tadpole.....good pics and the place sure looks peacful....have you thought about a sluice

in there?....sure hope you find some good gold for "show n tell"....

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

IN GOD WE TRUST

Never squat while wearing your spurs

Never leave the house naked....always carry!!!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

#3 homefire

homefire

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 5,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Detecting, Panning, Fishing and Other Weird Stuff!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Michigan has some Goofy Laws on Prospecting. .55Oz Limit??? What ta Ell?

http://www.michigan....16658--,00.html

http://www.michigan....16034--,00.html

#4 Au Seeker

Au Seeker

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Great looking stream, good luck and I can't wait to see some of the gold!!!

Michigan has some Goofy Laws on Prospecting. .55Oz Limit??? What ta Ell?

http://www.michigan....16658--,00.html

http://www.michigan....16034--,00.html

You have to report it before they'll know how much Mich. gold you have, and I can see everyone doing that, :hahaha: :hahaha: , and there's no way for them to test the gold to see if it even came from Mich., any test would show that most of the gold in Mich. is originally from Canada, so stock it what I say!!! :thumbsupanim

Skip
God, Family, Friends, and Gold

#5 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • 6,620 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Wonder if they had Gold Limit Cops there?......... RH, out here in the Motherlode, mechanized equipment is what usually separates casual recreational use from full out mining. Good luck, can't wait to see a pic o your gold
El Dorado

#6 Au Seeker

Au Seeker

Platinum Member

• Admin
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hang in there tadpole.....good pics and the place sure looks peacful....have you thought about a sluice

in there?....sure hope you find some good gold for "show n tell"....

The only problem with using a sluice in Mich. is that they require you to get a $50 permit :tisk-tisk: :th: , to hell with that, just take a piece of carpet and submerge it put some rocks on the corners to hold it down and run your dirt over the carpet, any gold will go down into the carpet and no sluice involved!!!

"In conjunction with the DNR's rules, the Department of Environmental Quality requires a permit for sluice boxes. The permit application, which costs $50, can be found online at www.michigan.gov/jointpermit."

Skip
God, Family, Friends, and Gold

#7 Goldfinger

Goldfinger

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Frank

If they issue permits for sluice boxes, a lot of people must be doing it and a few are probably very successful at it. Looks like a lot of work and hope it pays off for you.

Steve

#8 homefire

homefire

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 5,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Detecting, Panning, Fishing and Other Weird Stuff!

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

Wonder if they had Gold Limit Cops there?......... RH, out here in the Motherlode, mechanized equipment is what usually separates casual recreational use from full out mining. Good luck, can't wait to see a pic o your gold

LOL!

I have no idea how they would know what you found when.

If they Break the Law and Search you and found say 2oz how would they know when you found it?

Like it's again the Law to have more then $10,000 dollars in hand?

Automatic Bad Thing?

Now Your a Drug Dealer? Terrorist?

I'm surprised the Drug dealers have not gone the Precious metal route to get the money out of the States.

Maybe they have! Maybe that's just a Start of the Money Wars!

#9 rockhunter1620

rockhunter1620

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Interests:Gold(& meteorites), Guns, Guitars, and Girls! (can I call this a 4-G network?)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanx Don, Skip, El D, and Steve! And ya Don, I'm fixin on gettin me an Angus Mac Kirk sluice real soon, and I don't need no stinking permit!!!! I'm an outlaw, screw'em. There's only one place to park, and that's only room fer one vehicle. And my little car looks like it b'longs to a girl. I leave a "national audobon birds of north america" book on the front seat w/an emty binocular case sittin there. And on the seat in the back there's a pink folded up umbrella and a pair of girls tennis shoes. NO pick and sovel stickers, NO GPAA stickers, NO mossy oak seat covers, NO huntin or Ruger stickers on the car anywhere, :ph34r2: so, if a DNR should pull up and stop, he's gonna look the car over and in the windows, :hmmmmm: and just figure there's a young couple out there somewhere watchin birds, hopefully :inocent:

#10 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 2,995 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Metal Detecting, Kayaking

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yup ... Playing with the birds and the bees ... ! :)

Mike F

Mike Furness

Opportunity Only Knocks on Doors It Already Knows Are Open To It! Make it a Golden Day!

#11 Bucket

Bucket

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,706 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing, Video, welding, wood working, quads, you name it....I does it.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanx Don, Skip, El D, and Steve! And ya Don, I'm fixin on gettin me an Angus Mac Kirk sluice real soon, and I don't need no stinking permit!!!! I'm an outlaw, screw'em. There's only one place to park, and that's only room fer one vehicle. And my little car looks like it b'longs to a girl. I leave a "national audobon birds of north america" book on the front seat w/an emty binocular case sittin there. And on the seat in the back there's a pink folded up umbrella and a pair of girls tennis shoes. NO pick and sovel stickers, NO GPAA stickers, NO mossy oak seat covers, NO huntin or Ruger stickers on the car anywhere, :ph34r2: so, if a DNR should pull up and stop, he's gonna look the car over and in the windows, :hmmmmm: and just figure there's a young couple out there somewhere watchin birds, hopefully :inocent:

Pure Genius!!!! good luck tomorrow Rocky. If they see the pink umbrella though...they are gonna think Gar is in town from Brazil...dead givaway!! stash that.

"A Nation of Sheep, Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

http://www.BucketnBoomer.com

#12 frank c

frank c

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yer a good man Charlie Brown, when I saw this post I said to meself, YEP if anyone can find gold in Franks neck o the woods it'll be Frank.
Good Luck an Hapy Huntn in the cool waters.
Keep us posted on yer new endeavor buddy.
Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#13 rockhunter1620

rockhunter1620

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Pure Genius!!!! good luck tomorrow Rocky. If they see the pink umbrella though...they are gonna think Gar is in town from Brazil...dead givaway!! stash that.

Hey Bucket, don'tcha mean Evil Suuuuper Genius, no but really, I just want anyone who comes along in law enforcement after assessing the visual evidence of a vehicle parked at a state game area access point, at a time nowhere near huntin season, and without havin any reason to run the plate, to think to himself, "this car belongs to some nature lovin hikers" and decide to NOT bother walkin 600+ yrd. back down that trail, and to just be on his way, after all he's got real poachers and criminals to find, catch, and give tickets to, right? Right! And if Gar feels a little envious of my GF's pink umbrella, I guess he's just gonna have work on gettin some therapy to help him come to terms with his feelins, I guess. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow, I'm probly not gonna get much sleep, I can't wait !!!!!!!!

#14 Bucket

Bucket

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,706 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing, Video, welding, wood working, quads, you name it....I does it.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

:hahaha: I love it!! I can see it now... some pervert thinks he's got an opportunity so he hides out in the bushes waiting for the "Girl" to return to her car and he ends up getting mopped up by an "outlaw super evil genius"!! Seriously though...the thought you put into this is amazing and genius and hopefully it pays off.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

#15 rockhunter1620

rockhunter1620

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

:hahaha: I love it!! I can see it now... some pervert thinks he's got an opportunity so he hides out in the bushes waiting for the "Girl" to return to her car and he ends up getting mopped up by an "outlaw super evil genius"!! Seriously though...the thought you put into this is amazing and genius and hopefully it pays off.

Ya know Bucket, I do keep in the back of my mind, just how many of Wile E. Cyote's plans backfired over the yrs. tryin to catch that darn roadrunner, all of em I'm pretty sure. but it's not the problems that come a feller's way that matters, it's how he handles em that counts!

#16 Bucket

Bucket

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ya know Bucket, I do keep in the back of my mind, just how many of Wile E. Cyote's plans backfired over the yrs. tryin to catch that darn roadrunner, all of em I'm pretty sure. but it's not the problems that come a feller's way that matters, it's how he handles em that counts!

:hahaha: :hahaha: Amen to that brother!!

#17 rockhunter1620

rockhunter1620

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Alright fellers, an update for ya from my sunday visit that was s'posed to be all day, sunup to sundown, remember me sayin that? well, I made the mistake of invitin a friend who'd been beggin me to take him with me. Now don't get me wrong, he's a good friend and I love him but he's a useless, whiney-butt pot head who's had it way too easy in life. He's an electrician, he makes $30.-/hr. fingerin household wiring all day and the feller he works for has never told him to pee in a cup, so he's been spendin his evenings gettin high and watchin re-runs of gold fever fer the last 2 yrs. About 4 mo's. ago, all stoned, broke out a credit card and called the #. A week or so later in the mail he got his GPAA hat, stickers, and a mining guide and the membership cards fer a year, and thinkin he could go to any creek or stream, scoop up some gavel, pan it out, and find gold. So yesterday he got himself a big ole pile of rock, sand, and gravely" REALITY".We didn't get there till 9AM, and I told I wouldn't I see any gold till I got through my 3rd. bucket. Meanwhile he kept tellin me he's findin gold, what he kept showin me was tiny, yellowish grains of quartz, I kept sayin, no it ain't gold, but he wouldn't listen. Around noon after pannin out the last of my 3rd. bucket of classified sand, with just a thin layer of black sand in the bottom of my pan, an givin it a few swirls, and finally tappin the pan edge,(I think it's called the "blueberry bounce") I had 6 nice litttle pieces of bright, metalic yellow flour hop to the pan corner as the Fe3O4 slid down. I set the pan flat on the ground and called Jay to come over and take a look and tell me what he was lookin at. It took him him a couple seconds then he exploded! Started hootin and hollerin, then he got a little angry, grabed his little vile filled with those yellowish brown quartz grains, dumped em out, then wanted to celebrate by smokin some pot he had brought with him(what a retard).I sniffered up my little grains of flour while he smoked away. Went dug me another bucket by the boulder where I'd been diggin all along. Classified it down to sand, stratified and panned it out, got me 8 more litttle flour grains, put those in the vile and by then it was 3PM and jay was exausted, tired, beat-up, discouraged, hungry, mosquito bit, shoes and socks soakin wet, (I told him to bring rubber boots but he said he didn't have any, I had an extra pair but it was funnier to not let him know that) He admitted that findin gold was a LOT harder than they make it look on TV. All I could tell him was he needs to get off the dope, get off the couch, and do something with his life, and mostly, QUIT WATCHIN SO MUCH TV. So we packed up and headed fer the car. I'm headin back out there tomorrow, alone, by myself, no helper, no distractions. Tomorrow night or wednesday I'm gonna order a 50 mesh screen/classifier from "Black Cat Mining". I think their the cheapest so far. I really do need to get those bits of sand out of my vile, I hope 50 mesh does it, but I could end up with 60, 80, and 100 mesh screens b'fore it's all over with. Not if, but when I get good at recoverin this fine flour by hand, any and all other gold will be easy money. Oh, and finally, I'm still $100.- short of orderin my angus mac kirk, the house bills got to come first, but by the end of this month I should have that in the mail too. I will keep you fellers posted....RH

#18 oredigger62

oredigger62

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to geology or having a geologic base...from rock collecting to gold prospecting to meteorite hunting. Gold , Guns , and Gems. I am also an inventor . If it's on or in the ground i am interested. see me on facebook at : lewismiller62@yahoo.com

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Alright fellers, an update for ya from my sunday visit that was s'posed to be all day, sunup to sundown, remember me sayin that? well, I made the mistake of invitin a friend who'd been beggin me to take him with me. Now don't get me wrong, he's a good friend and I love him but he's a useless, whiney-butt pot head who's had it way too easy in life. He's an electrician, he makes $30.-/hr. fingerin household wiring all day and the feller he works for has never told him to pee in a cup, so he's been spendin his evenings gettin high and watchin re-runs of gold fever fer the last 2 yrs. About 4 mo's. ago, all stoned, broke out a credit card and called the #. A week or so later in the mail he got his GPAA hat, stickers, and a mining guide and the membership cards fer a year, and thinkin he could go to any creek or stream, scoop up some gavel, pan it out, and find gold. So yesterday he got himself a big ole pile of rock, sand, and gravely" REALITY".We didn't get there till 9AM, and I told I wouldn't I see any gold till I got through my 3rd. bucket. Meanwhile he kept tellin me he's findin gold, what he kept showin me was tiny, yellowish grains of quartz, I kept sayin, no it ain't gold, but he wouldn't listen. Around noon after pannin out the last of my 3rd. bucket of classified sand, with just a thin layer of black sand in the bottom of my pan, an givin it a few swirls, and finally tappin the pan edge,(I think it's called the "blueberry bounce") I had 6 nice litttle pieces of bright, metalic yellow flour hop to the pan corner as the Fe3O4 slid down. I set the pan flat on the ground and called Jay to come over and take a look and tell me what he was lookin at. It took him him a couple seconds then he exploded! Started hootin and hollerin, then he got a little angry, grabed his little vile filled with those yellowish brown quartz grains, dumped em out, then wanted to celebrate by smokin some pot he had brought with him(what a retard).I sniffered up my little grains of flour while he smoked away. Went dug me another bucket by the boulder where I'd been diggin all along. Classified it down to sand, stratified and panned it out, got me 8 more litttle flour grains, put those in the vile and by then it was 3PM and jay was exausted, tired, beat-up, discouraged, hungry, mosquito bit, shoes and socks soakin wet, (I told him to bring rubber boots but he said he didn't have any, I had an extra pair but it was funnier to not let him know that) He admitted that findin gold was a LOT harder than they make it look on TV. All I could tell him was he needs to get off the dope, get off the couch, and do something with his life, and mostly, QUIT WATCHIN SO MUCH TV. So we packed up and headed fer the car. I'm headin back out there tomorrow, alone, by myself, no helper, no distractions. Tomorrow night or wednesday I'm gonna order a 50 mesh screen/classifier from "Black Cat Mining". I think their the cheapest so far. I really do need to get those bits of sand out of my vile, I hope 50 mesh does it, but I could end up with 60, 80, and 100 mesh screens b'fore it's all over with. Not if, but when I get good at recoverin this fine flour by hand, any and all other gold will be easy money. Oh, and finally, I'm still $100.- short of orderin my angus mac kirk, the house bills got to come first, but by the end of this month I should have that in the mail too. I will keep you fellers posted....RH

#19 oredigger62

oredigger62

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to geology or having a geologic base...from rock collecting to gold prospecting to meteorite hunting. Gold , Guns , and Gems. I am also an inventor . If it's on or in the ground i am interested. see me on facebook at : lewismiller62@yahoo.com

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

Glad to hear you're finding color ... and great advice to the tag a long. I can't wait to hear what you find under that boulder. Good luck to ya !!!!

#20 Bucket

Bucket

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Frank your supposed to learn from Wile E. Coyote....not take him with you!! Well atleast you found gold out there, when I lived in Gwinn,MI the skeeters were as big as tennis balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users