#1 Buckshot

Buckshot

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Gems & Gold

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Located a previous underground stream bed (which is now underground & mostly dry) on my property where gold mining was carried on in the past, however not in this exact location. Have done some testing in one spot and have not come up with any gold yet. My question is where would the gold most likely be ? There is 3-4 ft over burden then 3+ ft of stream gravel then yellowish material and then bedrock which I haven't reached it is possibly another 3 ft or so. Since I haven't found anything yet should I continue to bedrock or try another spot, there are trees grown over the stream bed and very few spots without trees to test ? Any one with experience on this ? Located in Western NC in South Mtn. gold belt.

#2 Bucket

Bucket

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Fishing, Video, welding, wood working, quads, you name it....I does it.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Well you say you haven't found anything yet, but until you hit bedrock I wouldn't necessarily write off that spot, unless you know a spot where bedrock might be a little closer to the surface, I'd keep going down.

"A Nation of Sheep, Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

http://www.BucketnBoomer.com

#3 Hoser John

Hoser John

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • Interests:Dredging,detecting,scuba diving,kayaking,history,getn'n'trouble

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Gold miners make the bedrock....and don't stop till ya get there....then decision time....tons a au 2 u 2-John

#4 Buckshot

Buckshot

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys thought the answers might be what you said, just thought I would find something before reaching bedrock, plus the fact that gold is not everywhere in a stream bed but don't have the privilege of reading the stream now to see where it may have fell out.

#5 adam

adam

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Are there any brook trout in the stream? I would just go fishing :D

#6 oredigger62

oredigger62

10 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to geology or having a geologic base...from rock collecting to gold prospecting to meteorite hunting. Gold , Guns , and Gems. I am also an inventor . If it's on or in the ground i am interested. see me on facebook at : lewismiller62@yahoo.com

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

:hahaha: LOL Adam !!!!!!

#7 Buckshot

Buckshot

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Guys this is no longer a stream, only hit water when I reach water table. There is a bigger stream on the property where I also prospect and I have stocked it a couple of times in the past with rainbow trout. I have a place higher up in the mtns. that is regularly stocked with rainbow & sometimes brown thats where I do most of my fishing. Fly fishing & surf fishing when I get to the coast are my two favorite types of fishing. Just went deep sea fishing last week for the first time in 40+ years at Calabash, NC and water was rough probably something to do with the tropical storm Debby, any way got sick after about 1 hr and had to stay out for another 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. never was so glad to hear the Capt. say bring em in we're heading back in.

#8 Mike Furness

Mike Furness

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 3,008 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Metal Detecting, Kayaking

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Ah yes ... the chum machine working overtime! Hope the fishing was good! Mike F

Mike Furness

Opportunity Only Knocks on Doors It Already Knows Are Open To It! Make it a Golden Day!

#9 bigrex

bigrex

Rock Inspector

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • Interests:Hunt/Collect gems, minerals, fossils, corundum (sapphires, rubies), trilobites. Nuggetshooting, Computer, music, art, guns etc.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Since you're in Western NC I'll also add that there never were sapphires and rubies at the top of the creek deposit either, they were always on the bottom end of the deposit and would come in pockets.
Rex B.

Nevada Nugget Hunters Forum

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner, liberty is a well armed lamb protesting the vote" — Ben Franklin

#10 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • 6,638 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hook line and sinker!
El Dorado

#11 GlennM

GlennM

Platinum Member

• Supporting Member
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Why else would I be here?

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

You're going to have to make bedrock and then try to cross-section the stream to find its extents and see if you can read what it was doing at this particular location.

It will be a piece of work, but an awesome adventure.

Beepin around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users