126 replies to this topic

#81 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,783 posts
  • Interests:gold-gold-gold

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Frank I understand what your saying, the information Garrett puts out says the ATX functions in one mode for all depths the way I read it, without having to change programs. 

I was hoping to find something with some depth but I only worked a small area, still that possibility may happen.

There are three size of coils available for the ATX, it come with a 12" DD and it is sensitive to small gold. 

I've beat that patch to death with a Coiltek Platypus DD, found the patch with that coil, also a 17" El DD, a 19" Rd DD and two Joey's, a DD and a mono.....found gold with all the coils. There is an area there about an acre in size that has knee high weeds that may still hold some descent pieces. My last two piece were both .2 grams each, with the Joey mono. 

If it beeps--dig it!! Garimpo

IN GOD WE TRUST

Never squat while wearing your spurs

Never leave the house naked....always carry!!!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

#82 H-2 Charlie

H-2 Charlie

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:old 2 strokes-big puppies

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

a 1 gram pc and a 2 oz nugg

#83 frank c

frank c

Platinum Member

• Premium Member
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

Don, 1 other thought, if you have the time while the machine is in your possession give the "quick iron check" mode a few tests an let us know your thoughts an results on its reliability / capability in this mode.

Metal detecting ,Puffer Drywashers, Gold ,Meteorites, and Good Friends
These are a few of MY favorite things.
HAPY HUNTN FOLKS

Ol Yeller Drywashers
Custom Hand Operated
Drywashers
http://olyeller.wordpress.com/

#84 frog21

frog21

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Don, 1 other thought, if you have the time while the machine is in your possession give the "quick iron check" mode a few tests an let us know your thoughts an results on its reliability / capability in this mode.

I just read a brief review by Bart Davis after he tested the ATX for a couple of hours and he said the iron check worked very well. He could not give any details. His review is on the ATX forum that is linked on the Garrett site.

• Tye likes this

#85 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Frank and Frog when the factory rep, Henry was here and I took him to the "hot rock hell" he didn't seem to have any problems with the hot rocks, some that would jump on a magnet. I wish now I had asked him more about them. 

Don't know when I'll have one in my hand again, hope soon in a special creek....

IN GOD WE TRUST

A GUN is LIKE a PARACHUTE. IF YOU NEED ONE AND DON'T HAVE ONE YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER NEED ONE AGAIN !

#86 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just in folks.....the finished Garrett ATX manual.....see it here:

http://www.garrett.c...anual_rev_a.pdf

IN GOD WE TRUST

#87 frog21

frog21

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

Don, when are you going to get some more test time with the ATX? I would like to see your results on some hot ground.

#88 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Frog I hope too, for over a week now we've had wind,rain, and lightening and the hot ground I want to test is actually a large hole that covers about three acres of bad red dirt. A Minelab with a DD coil has a hard time balancing. Had planned to go today but it rained all night and is still raining at 0900. That would result in three acres of red MUD. 

The gold taken out of there in the last 20 years normally runs in sizes of 5-15 grams but, the big problem is it's about 12-15 feet deep in the red dirt. Several people have taken stabs at getting rich there with dozers but never enough to pay the dozer % and the split by all that are involved. 

I have lucked out there with a few nice pieces using a Coiltek 19" round DD. That is where I want to test the ATX next. Maybe I'll have a talk with the Garrett dealer today. 

IN GOD WE TRUST

#89 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • 6,551 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

Is that the Red a Dirt From HeII Patch? Defiantly some nasty ground!
El Dorado

#90 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Wonder how you remember that El D......yep that's where I'll take the ATX

IN GOD WE TRUST

#91 GeoJack

GeoJack

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Got some weird feedback from Garret yesterday and then again this morning. Called and talked to a gentleman there and when asked the differences between the Recon and the ATX stated that they were not the same at all. When pressed he stated he really didn't know anything about the Recon.

Put in an email and voice mail to the main man Ron who oversees the Recon / Military side of Garret.

Just got the email.

"We do not sell the Recon-Pro, AML1000 commercially.  Second, it would not be good for Gold detection.

You would be much better off with the Garrett AT Gold."

I sent a follow up to him,
"Ron,
Thanks for the reply. There is a bunch of chatter on the forums about this detector as some are out on Ebay and such. Could you offer up on why it would not be good for gold and how it is different from the ATX and why you didn't suggest the ATX as a better choice over the AT Gold?"

reply,
"If you see a Recon-Pro on Ebay, it would be an older Army surplus and would not have the current software (beware) !  Garrett does not support these items.

I can only suggest the AT Gold based on my experience with it.  The ATX only uses hardware from the Recon-Pro and I am not familiar with the product as it is new.."

Edited by GeoJack, 16 October 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#92 Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Metal Detecting, Writing

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

That's not surprising at all. You would be amazed how little the people who work at the manufacturers know about their own products. Very few of them are actually detectorists.

Main problem with the Recon is it is non-motion only requiring constant manual retuning to maintain a stable threshold. OK for hunting a very small area, but much of nugget detecting is all about covering lots of ground trying to get over a nugget. The Recon would be totally impractical for any such use.

#93 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Steve the ATX manual says the same thing about the ATX: Main problem with the Recon is it is non-motion only requiring constant manual retuning to maintain a stable threshold. It goes on to say that in non-motion it will detect deeper. 

Today I visited the Garrett dealer here to borrow the ATX tomorrow, planned on taking it to the "red dirt hell" and give it a test on some planted nuggets but, someone had already borrowed the ATX and took it 2100 miles to the North of here to "test" on ground there. It could be a month before it returns. 

IN GOD WE TRUST

#94 Tye

Tye

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Nuggeteering, Family & friends, Anceint Aliens, GUNS, Astronomy, History and Music

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Here's a new vid from Australia...briefly discusses performance in the nasty WA gold fields.

Cheers,

Tye

#95 GeoJack

GeoJack

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

So, how do you get your fingers down in there to connect the cable? Looks tight.

#96 frog21

frog21

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Some more ATX videos for you nugget shooters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHlcMgRNSE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4Bhjuz89LnVu-J5OFWslDg

#97 Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Silver Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Prospecting, Metal Detecting, Writing

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

It is not about nugget detecting so I will not repost here but I have a long report on the ATX at http://www.findmall.....php?96,1983695

#98 JasonG

JasonG

14 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:supernova flotsam, learning, making, doing

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks, good review.

EMI is my #1 complaint with my ML when I'm in Colorado and I'm dying to find a better solution. For some reason out there, maybe the elevation, I'm not exactly sure what, but in most places I try even far from cities it's almost unuseable due to rampant EMI. Works fine in AZ though.

Hopefully a dealer there gets an ATX demo unit by the time I get back, would love to try one.

#99 El Dorado

El Dorado

Proud Vietnam Vet

• Supporting Member
  • 6,551 posts
  • Interests:dredging for gold(still favorite but ?), camping, creating one of a kind jewelry. shootin' guns & finding whopper nuggets with my GPX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Steve
Thanks for the great independent report, I can't wait for you nugget testing
El Dorado

#100 garimpo

garimpo

Original American

• 13,783 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

JG have you tried using a smaller DD coil? Might start with the ML 11" DD

IN GOD WE TRUST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users