#1 gold fault

gold fault

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and I am looking for some input on the subject of drywashers. If you were going to buy a drywasher and money was not part of the decision making, would you opt for the Keene 151 or the large gold buddy version and why. All suggestions are appreciated. Bob.

#2 goldenone

goldenone

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hi Bob and welcome to this forum.

If it were me and money was not a factor,I would definitely go with the keene.The reasons being...

The keene uses a 4-stroke 4 1/2 hp engine/blower combo and not a leaf blower.No mixing gas and oil and it is quieter running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle than a leaf blower running all out.Which is what is needed to make the large gold buddy work properly.You will still need a vacuum to clean the bedrock,so you will still have the noise for a little while,but not all day long like with the gold buddy.
The keene engine is heavier, but when I had mine if I couldn`t get where I wanted in the 4x4,I just strapped everything to a dolly with big inflatable tires and took it where ever I wanted to.
And the keene blower provides warm to hot air which makes it much easier to work damp material.
While both will keep two people busy all day,I on one trip had four people throwing dirt at my old keene and it kept up with us without loosing any gold.
The more I think about it,the more I wish I still had that drywasher.I`ve got the large gold buddy right now,so I have worked both and I still like the keene best.

Hope this is of help to you.

#3 29 Prospector

29 Prospector

Platinum Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Interests:Mining, prospecting and fishing. I enjoy playing with the grandkids and going places with my wife. If I'm not prospecting then my wife and I are doing something, going somewhere or just hanging out.

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. I have both the Keene 151, older model w/the B&S engine, and a Keene puffer. I've also owned a Gold Duster both small and large. The main thing you want to know is do they recover gold. Yes they do. Noise is a factor when you use a 2 cycle engine. The Gold Duster and the Gold Buddy both are much lighter then the Keene's. The Keene puffer w/a 12v battery is very quite and is a good one man prospecting machine, whereas, the Keene 151 is a production machine. I still have both of my Keene's and would not part with them. You might look into a Keene 141 which is in between the puffer and the 151. The advantage to this one is that it comes complete with a vacuum. So you use the same engine for the vac as you do the drywasher. I guess the end result to your question is a matter of choice. I personally would buy the 151 if money was not the issue. It will dry damp material better then the 2/cycle models. As for the puffer, it does a pretty good job drying the material also. I usually run my damp material 2-3 times anyway, so for me it makes no difference. I hope this helps.

O'29er in 29 icon_mrgreen.gif hmmmmmm.gif banged.gif nutty.gif miner.gif ROFL.gif ROFL.gif
The 29 Prospector(aka Bob Dunkin) WSPA #22

"Man is the only creature endowed with the power of laughter; is he not also the only one that deserves to be laughed at?"

-Lord Greville

[/size]

#4 gold fault

gold fault

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I think that I am going with Keene 151. This way I can use it alone or bring it along on a dig when I am with the prospecting club that I am going to join. I will let you know when I make my first million rofl2.gif Bob

#5 Nuggetshooter

Nuggetshooter

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Coin hunting, nugget hunting, highbanking, drywashing, dredging, traveling, woodworking, fishing, and flying my powered parachute

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Hi,
I had a 151 for a number of years and it was a great drywasher. I had a goldbuddy before that and it worked great as well, but I did like the Keene a bit better once made a few modifications to it. Jim Straight suggested I put making behind every other riffle in the top half to help reduce the air flow force when I was in and area where fine gold was known to be. It really works well. I also attached a two foot piece of sewer hose permanently to the drywasher with a quick connect at the end to make it easy to connect to my blower. The only reason I do not have it is because I found a Pesco Custom Drywasher that I like better. The Pesco moves about the same amount of material as the Keene, but it is lighter and it runs with an Echo 750 backpack blower that is lighter and very quiet. It is My drywashing buddy has my Keene 151 and it is still going strong. With the 151 or the Gold Buddy you can't go wrong - it is a matter of personal choice. Both excelent drywashers, I liked happened to like the Keene better and now I like my Pesco better than both the Keene and the Gold Buddy. Happy hunting.
Darryl

#6 Pyrite Boy

Pyrite Boy

Copper Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Gold Fault, be sure that a large drywasher is what you really need.....I know the 151 will take everything 2 men shoveling can throw at it.....there are people out there that have sold their 151 and opted for a smaller model.....may I suggest that you look a Packwasher drywasher; 3 sizes to choose from, and these models process material faster than a Keene 151, although I believe a Keene is slightly better built....Packwashers are also lighter, if that is of concern....

#7 Paseclipse

Paseclipse

24 Karat Gold Member

• Nugget Shooter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Meteorite hunting, metal detecting for meteorites/gold, drywashing.

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Pyrite Boy @ Mar 18 2007, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gold Fault, be sure that a large drywasher is what you really need.....I know the 151 will take everything 2 men shoveling can throw at it.....there are people out there that have sold their 151 and opted for a smaller model.....may I suggest that you look a Packwasher drywasher; 3 sizes to choose from, and these models process material faster than a Keene 151, although I believe a Keene is slightly better built....Packwashers are also lighter, if that is of concern....

There's no way that little drywasher will hang with a Keene 151!

Check out the Keene model 141 it's perfect for a one man operation.
Del Waterbury
WSPA #40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users